Oct 3, 2011, 12:20 PM EDT
Brandon Saad’s great work throughout Chicago’s training camp is earning him notice from Joel Quenneville in a big way. The Blackhawks made their latest round of roster cuts in camp and Saad’s name wasn’t on the list of five players sent out of camp. Fellow impressive youngster Brandon Pirri was sent down to the AHL as was last year’s surprise upstart Marcus Kruger.
The big story here is with Saad. He was Chicago’s second round pick in 2011 and while he was projected to be a first round talent, he fell back to 43rd overall and into Chicago’s lap. Saad’s slip down the draft board isn’t lost on him and he’s been out to prove himself all throughout training camp. Mission accomplished as he’s going to start the year with Chicago and at least get nine games to show whether or not he belongs.
The chances for Saad to stick around longer than nine games are likely pretty thin as Viktor Stalberg and Patrick Sharp are questionable to play in the first game of the year. While Sharp is much closer to coming back than Stalberg, Ben Smith is feeling much better since getting knocked out by Detroit’s Brendan Smith. Saad’s window to show off is likely thin, but if he breaks out in a big way he could force Chicago’s hand in keeping him around for the season.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 7
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 19
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 17
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 22
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 50
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 22
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 15
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)