Oct 1, 2011, 5:56 PM EST
While the superstar center will travel with the team for that game, Crosby and his head coach Dan Bylsma admitted that he won’t suit up for the team. That first contest of the 2011-12 season takes place on Thursday, Oct. 6. The gang at Rotoworld expects him to play a “maximum” of 70 games in 2011-12, but his short-term future is really anyone’s guess.
This shouldn’t be a sign that Crosby’s rehab process isn’t going in the right direction. Instead, it should reiterate that all parties involved are doing their best to make sure he comes back in the best possible shape to play at the all-world level he showed off before those dual concussions put his career in precarious situation. Crosby scored 32 goals and 66 points in 41 games in 2010-11, the equivalent to half of a season of work.
If you want to know exactly what Crosby and Bylsma said today, here are their quotes.
While he’s been encouraged by his progress, Pittsburgh Penguins captain Sidney Crosby will miss the team’s season opener against the Vancouver Canucks next Thursday night.
“No. I wouldn’t expect it, no,” Crosby told reporters Saturday when asked if there was a realistic chance he would be ready for the Oct. 6 showdown at Rogers Arena. “I don’t think so.”
“In terms of him and his rehab, I think it’s positive,” Pens coach Dan Bylsma said. “We play next Thursday and it’s a few short days away. We haven’t progressed to the next level yet, so it’s safe to say (he won’t play).”
Feel free to pull out the “Dumb & Dumber” line “So you’re telling me there’s a chance … “ but clearly he’s been ruled out of that contest barring a stunning improvement. We’ll keep you updated about this situation as it progresses, though.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)