Oct 1, 2011, 5:56 PM EDT
While the superstar center will travel with the team for that game, Crosby and his head coach Dan Bylsma admitted that he won’t suit up for the team. That first contest of the 2011-12 season takes place on Thursday, Oct. 6. The gang at Rotoworld expects him to play a “maximum” of 70 games in 2011-12, but his short-term future is really anyone’s guess.
This shouldn’t be a sign that Crosby’s rehab process isn’t going in the right direction. Instead, it should reiterate that all parties involved are doing their best to make sure he comes back in the best possible shape to play at the all-world level he showed off before those dual concussions put his career in precarious situation. Crosby scored 32 goals and 66 points in 41 games in 2010-11, the equivalent to half of a season of work.
If you want to know exactly what Crosby and Bylsma said today, here are their quotes.
While he’s been encouraged by his progress, Pittsburgh Penguins captain Sidney Crosby will miss the team’s season opener against the Vancouver Canucks next Thursday night.
“No. I wouldn’t expect it, no,” Crosby told reporters Saturday when asked if there was a realistic chance he would be ready for the Oct. 6 showdown at Rogers Arena. “I don’t think so.”
“In terms of him and his rehab, I think it’s positive,” Pens coach Dan Bylsma said. “We play next Thursday and it’s a few short days away. We haven’t progressed to the next level yet, so it’s safe to say (he won’t play).”
Feel free to pull out the “Dumb & Dumber” line “So you’re telling me there’s a chance … “ but clearly he’s been ruled out of that contest barring a stunning improvement. We’ll keep you updated about this situation as it progresses, though.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 0
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 8
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 4
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)