Oct 1, 2011, 5:56 PM EDT
While the superstar center will travel with the team for that game, Crosby and his head coach Dan Bylsma admitted that he won’t suit up for the team. That first contest of the 2011-12 season takes place on Thursday, Oct. 6. The gang at Rotoworld expects him to play a “maximum” of 70 games in 2011-12, but his short-term future is really anyone’s guess.
This shouldn’t be a sign that Crosby’s rehab process isn’t going in the right direction. Instead, it should reiterate that all parties involved are doing their best to make sure he comes back in the best possible shape to play at the all-world level he showed off before those dual concussions put his career in precarious situation. Crosby scored 32 goals and 66 points in 41 games in 2010-11, the equivalent to half of a season of work.
If you want to know exactly what Crosby and Bylsma said today, here are their quotes.
While he’s been encouraged by his progress, Pittsburgh Penguins captain Sidney Crosby will miss the team’s season opener against the Vancouver Canucks next Thursday night.
“No. I wouldn’t expect it, no,” Crosby told reporters Saturday when asked if there was a realistic chance he would be ready for the Oct. 6 showdown at Rogers Arena. “I don’t think so.”
“In terms of him and his rehab, I think it’s positive,” Pens coach Dan Bylsma said. “We play next Thursday and it’s a few short days away. We haven’t progressed to the next level yet, so it’s safe to say (he won’t play).”
Feel free to pull out the “Dumb & Dumber” line “So you’re telling me there’s a chance … “ but clearly he’s been ruled out of that contest barring a stunning improvement. We’ll keep you updated about this situation as it progresses, though.
- Kings’ Dustin Brown: ‘We got our [expletives] kicked’ 0
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 16
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 22
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 37
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 59
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 90
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (138)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (99)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)