Oct 1, 2011, 5:56 PM EST
While the superstar center will travel with the team for that game, Crosby and his head coach Dan Bylsma admitted that he won’t suit up for the team. That first contest of the 2011-12 season takes place on Thursday, Oct. 6. The gang at Rotoworld expects him to play a “maximum” of 70 games in 2011-12, but his short-term future is really anyone’s guess.
This shouldn’t be a sign that Crosby’s rehab process isn’t going in the right direction. Instead, it should reiterate that all parties involved are doing their best to make sure he comes back in the best possible shape to play at the all-world level he showed off before those dual concussions put his career in precarious situation. Crosby scored 32 goals and 66 points in 41 games in 2010-11, the equivalent to half of a season of work.
If you want to know exactly what Crosby and Bylsma said today, here are their quotes.
While he’s been encouraged by his progress, Pittsburgh Penguins captain Sidney Crosby will miss the team’s season opener against the Vancouver Canucks next Thursday night.
“No. I wouldn’t expect it, no,” Crosby told reporters Saturday when asked if there was a realistic chance he would be ready for the Oct. 6 showdown at Rogers Arena. “I don’t think so.”
“In terms of him and his rehab, I think it’s positive,” Pens coach Dan Bylsma said. “We play next Thursday and it’s a few short days away. We haven’t progressed to the next level yet, so it’s safe to say (he won’t play).”
Feel free to pull out the “Dumb & Dumber” line “So you’re telling me there’s a chance … “ but clearly he’s been ruled out of that contest barring a stunning improvement. We’ll keep you updated about this situation as it progresses, though.
- Leafs scoring slump hits historical low 7
- Video: Rangers’ Lundqvist takes puck to the neck 2
- Zamboni driver arrested for DUI, allegedly cleaned ice surface while drunk 10
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 8
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 8
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 26
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 61
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4