Oct 1, 2011, 6:22 PM EDT
The natural instinct is to assume that preseason games don’t matter. It’s all about perspective, though. Prospects who hope to make the jump to the NHL and veterans attempting to avoid involuntary retirement must treat each exhibition as a golden opportunity.
But yes, for the most part, players in their prime just need to get their feet wet a bit. Detroit Red Wings superstar Pavel Datsyuk doesn’t really have any new linemates to worry about and he certainly should be well-acquainted with Mike Babcock’s system. For that reason, the team decided to pull him from today’s game against the Toronto Maple Leafs and tomorrow’s contest against the Pittsburgh Penguins.
Rotoworld states that his injury (listed as a back problem by Detroit) is “not considered too serious.” With that in mind, it wouldn’t be surprising if Datsyuk appears in the Red Wings’ season opening game against the Ottawa Senators on Oct. 7 at Joe Louis Arena. From the looks of things, the only real sad part is that he won’t wear number 24 in tribute to Ruslan Salei for another night.
Naturally, these situations can change over nearly a week of rest and practice, so we’ll keep our eyes open for updates regarding his condition. It doesn’t sound like something that Red Wings fans and fans of the sport as a whole should be considered about, but stay tuned.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 9
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 15
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 17
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)