Oct 1, 2011, 3:03 PM EST
Earlier today, PHT expressed optimism about the chances of the Nikolai Kulemin-Mikhail Grabovski-Clarke MacArthur line maintaining their momentum from last season. Of course, to accomplish that goal, the Toronto trio will need to play together as much as possible.
That sequel season will get off to a slow start because the NHL suspended MacArthur for the rest of the preseason as well as two regular season games today. The Maple Leafs winger caught Detroit Red Wings forward Justin Abdelkader with an illegal hit at the end of the third period during the teams’ preseason game on Friday. MacArthur will lose $35,135.14 in pay because of the suspension. He’ll be able to play again on Oct. 15 against the Calgary Flames.
MacArthur wasn’t penalized for the hit and was actually on the ice against Abdelkader for Mike Komisarek‘s game-winning overtime goal, which you can see from this post’s main image.
Brendan Shanahan’s explanation video will go up once it is available, but you can review the hit by watching the video linked here. That check seems clearly illegal to me, but you’re welcome to make a case for MacArthur in the comments.
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 12
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 26
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 30
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 6
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- PHT’s 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 28
- Winners and losers of the 2014 trade deadline 48
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)