Oct 1, 2011, 3:03 PM EST
Earlier today, PHT expressed optimism about the chances of the Nikolai Kulemin-Mikhail Grabovski-Clarke MacArthur line maintaining their momentum from last season. Of course, to accomplish that goal, the Toronto trio will need to play together as much as possible.
That sequel season will get off to a slow start because the NHL suspended MacArthur for the rest of the preseason as well as two regular season games today. The Maple Leafs winger caught Detroit Red Wings forward Justin Abdelkader with an illegal hit at the end of the third period during the teams’ preseason game on Friday. MacArthur will lose $35,135.14 in pay because of the suspension. He’ll be able to play again on Oct. 15 against the Calgary Flames.
MacArthur wasn’t penalized for the hit and was actually on the ice against Abdelkader for Mike Komisarek‘s game-winning overtime goal, which you can see from this post’s main image.
Brendan Shanahan’s explanation video will go up once it is available, but you can review the hit by watching the video linked here. That check seems clearly illegal to me, but you’re welcome to make a case for MacArthur in the comments.
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 4
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 4
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 2
- Devils fire DeBoer 20
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 4
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 18
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)