Sep 30, 2011, 12:00 PM EST
Steve Staios headed to Long Island in training camp on a tryout basis to prove that he can still swing it in the NHL after years in Edmonton and Calgary. What he showed coach Jack Capuano must’ve been impressive because the 38 year-old defenseman was signed to a one-year contract with the Islanders today.
TSN’s Darren Dreger reports that Staios’ contract with the Isles is worth $800,000 with bonuses that could make it worth up to $1.2 million. If the Isles shock the world and win the Stanley Cup, Staios will make $1.6 million.
Staios is a solid guy but dealt with injury problems in Calgary the last two seasons. The Islanders were in need of some veteran depth on the blue line and Staios will fit the bill there as the Isles could use as many reinforcements there as possible. While Mark Streit is the top guy there, the rest of the Isles support on the blue line is a bit more tenuous. Injuries crushed the Isles on defense last year and Staios makes for good insurance this time around.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 52
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 69
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (142)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)