Sep 30, 2011, 12:00 PM EST
Steve Staios headed to Long Island in training camp on a tryout basis to prove that he can still swing it in the NHL after years in Edmonton and Calgary. What he showed coach Jack Capuano must’ve been impressive because the 38 year-old defenseman was signed to a one-year contract with the Islanders today.
TSN’s Darren Dreger reports that Staios’ contract with the Isles is worth $800,000 with bonuses that could make it worth up to $1.2 million. If the Isles shock the world and win the Stanley Cup, Staios will make $1.6 million.
Staios is a solid guy but dealt with injury problems in Calgary the last two seasons. The Islanders were in need of some veteran depth on the blue line and Staios will fit the bill there as the Isles could use as many reinforcements there as possible. While Mark Streit is the top guy there, the rest of the Isles support on the blue line is a bit more tenuous. Injuries crushed the Isles on defense last year and Staios makes for good insurance this time around.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 38
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 115
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (115)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)