Sep 30, 2011, 12:00 PM EST
Steve Staios headed to Long Island in training camp on a tryout basis to prove that he can still swing it in the NHL after years in Edmonton and Calgary. What he showed coach Jack Capuano must’ve been impressive because the 38 year-old defenseman was signed to a one-year contract with the Islanders today.
TSN’s Darren Dreger reports that Staios’ contract with the Isles is worth $800,000 with bonuses that could make it worth up to $1.2 million. If the Isles shock the world and win the Stanley Cup, Staios will make $1.6 million.
Staios is a solid guy but dealt with injury problems in Calgary the last two seasons. The Islanders were in need of some veteran depth on the blue line and Staios will fit the bill there as the Isles could use as many reinforcements there as possible. While Mark Streit is the top guy there, the rest of the Isles support on the blue line is a bit more tenuous. Injuries crushed the Isles on defense last year and Staios makes for good insurance this time around.
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 71
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 3
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 11
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 87
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (87)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (80)