Sep 30, 2011, 12:00 PM EDT
Steve Staios headed to Long Island in training camp on a tryout basis to prove that he can still swing it in the NHL after years in Edmonton and Calgary. What he showed coach Jack Capuano must’ve been impressive because the 38 year-old defenseman was signed to a one-year contract with the Islanders today.
TSN’s Darren Dreger reports that Staios’ contract with the Isles is worth $800,000 with bonuses that could make it worth up to $1.2 million. If the Isles shock the world and win the Stanley Cup, Staios will make $1.6 million.
Staios is a solid guy but dealt with injury problems in Calgary the last two seasons. The Islanders were in need of some veteran depth on the blue line and Staios will fit the bill there as the Isles could use as many reinforcements there as possible. While Mark Streit is the top guy there, the rest of the Isles support on the blue line is a bit more tenuous. Injuries crushed the Isles on defense last year and Staios makes for good insurance this time around.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 8
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 3
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 20
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)