Sep 30, 2011, 11:23 AM EST
Brendan Smith’s long-awaited suspension from NHL player safety czar Brendan Shanahan is in and it’s a lengthy and appropriate punishment.
Shanahan is suspending Smith for the remainder of the preseason as well as five regular season games for his blow to the head of Chicago’s Ben Smith. The shot to Ben’s head put him down on the ice and has him listed as “day to day” by Blackhawks head coach Joel Quenneville with what’s believed to be a concussion.
The suspension for Brendan is a bit awkward as he’s likely being sent back to AHL Grand Rapids meaning that the five games he’ll have to serve in the NHL will have to wait. The AHL will review his hit and decide whether or not they’ll sit him down equally when he arrives there. Brendan will give up $23,648.65 in salary to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund for his reckless play.
Smith is the eighth player suspended this preseason by Shanahan and with Smith being a rookie still, him getting this tough of a suspension is a good sign for those who want these careless plays to be punished severely. Shanahan taking this role seriously and putting the hammer down is a pleasant change for the league after Colin Campbell’s reign of error.
Smith’s head shot getting five games on top of James Wisniewski‘s eight game ban for a head shot means that players had better get their play under control and take responsibility or else they’re going to do their own teams a major disservice by playing on the edge.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 27
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 14
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 82
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 4
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (82)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)