Sep 30, 2011, 11:23 AM EDT
Brendan Smith’s long-awaited suspension from NHL player safety czar Brendan Shanahan is in and it’s a lengthy and appropriate punishment.
Shanahan is suspending Smith for the remainder of the preseason as well as five regular season games for his blow to the head of Chicago’s Ben Smith. The shot to Ben’s head put him down on the ice and has him listed as “day to day” by Blackhawks head coach Joel Quenneville with what’s believed to be a concussion.
The suspension for Brendan is a bit awkward as he’s likely being sent back to AHL Grand Rapids meaning that the five games he’ll have to serve in the NHL will have to wait. The AHL will review his hit and decide whether or not they’ll sit him down equally when he arrives there. Brendan will give up $23,648.65 in salary to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund for his reckless play.
Smith is the eighth player suspended this preseason by Shanahan and with Smith being a rookie still, him getting this tough of a suspension is a good sign for those who want these careless plays to be punished severely. Shanahan taking this role seriously and putting the hammer down is a pleasant change for the league after Colin Campbell’s reign of error.
Smith’s head shot getting five games on top of James Wisniewski‘s eight game ban for a head shot means that players had better get their play under control and take responsibility or else they’re going to do their own teams a major disservice by playing on the edge.
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 7
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 28
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 44
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 17
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 31
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 94
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 38
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 62
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 15
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (94)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (91)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- LIVE: Heat, Pacers go to overtime in Game 1
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games