Sep 30, 2011, 7:20 PM EST
Marc Staal skated for the first time since Sunday, as he spent 100 minutes on the ice with the AHL’s Connecticut Whale. It still seems unlikely that the New York Rangers’ most important defenseman will be ready for the team’s Oct. 7 season-opener against the Los Angeles, although his absence isn’t an absolute certainty just yet. (When Andrew Gross asked Staal about his status for that contest, he simply said “I don’t know.”)
Gross reports that Staal considers himself day-to-day for practices, let alone games. He might skate again on Saturday if he doesn’t experience headaches again, according to that report.
Staal underwent an MRI on Friday that revealed some pressure in his neck, although the exact diagnosis wasn’t revealed. Staal’s absence could solidify things for two lower-ranking Rangers defensemen: Michael del Zotto and Tim Erixon. Del Zotto experienced a serious drop-off in 2010-11 after a surprisingly potent rookie year in 09-10. (MDZ scored an impressive 37 points in 80 games, although that total was tarnished a bit by leaky defensive play, which could be seen most simply in his -20 rating.)
As important as Staal is to the Rangers’ blueline – He averaged a stunning 25:44 minutes per game during the last regular season – the team shouldn’t be too hasty to bring him back. His absence will put a lot of pressure on Brad Richards and their offense to score at a solid pace (not to mention even more of a burden on world-class goalie Henrik Lundqvist), but they need to take the long view with their 24-year-old defensive centerpiece.
We’ll keep you updated as Staal continues to make a hopeful if unlikely bid to play by the first meaningful game of the season.
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 37
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (56)