Sep 30, 2011, 7:20 PM EDT
Marc Staal skated for the first time since Sunday, as he spent 100 minutes on the ice with the AHL’s Connecticut Whale. It still seems unlikely that the New York Rangers’ most important defenseman will be ready for the team’s Oct. 7 season-opener against the Los Angeles, although his absence isn’t an absolute certainty just yet. (When Andrew Gross asked Staal about his status for that contest, he simply said “I don’t know.”)
Gross reports that Staal considers himself day-to-day for practices, let alone games. He might skate again on Saturday if he doesn’t experience headaches again, according to that report.
Staal underwent an MRI on Friday that revealed some pressure in his neck, although the exact diagnosis wasn’t revealed. Staal’s absence could solidify things for two lower-ranking Rangers defensemen: Michael del Zotto and Tim Erixon. Del Zotto experienced a serious drop-off in 2010-11 after a surprisingly potent rookie year in 09-10. (MDZ scored an impressive 37 points in 80 games, although that total was tarnished a bit by leaky defensive play, which could be seen most simply in his -20 rating.)
As important as Staal is to the Rangers’ blueline – He averaged a stunning 25:44 minutes per game during the last regular season – the team shouldn’t be too hasty to bring him back. His absence will put a lot of pressure on Brad Richards and their offense to score at a solid pace (not to mention even more of a burden on world-class goalie Henrik Lundqvist), but they need to take the long view with their 24-year-old defensive centerpiece.
We’ll keep you updated as Staal continues to make a hopeful if unlikely bid to play by the first meaningful game of the season.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)