Sep 30, 2011, 1:02 AM EDT
With the 2011-12 season rapidly approaching, the gang at PHT decided to take a look at all 30 NHL teams’ schedules. Each team’s highs and lows will be studied in detail to give you an idea of what the future might hold for each squad.
Edmonton Oilers schedule analysis
Total mileage: 50,006 (fourth highest total in NHL and most in the Northwest Division)
Back-to-back games: 12
The first half of the season for the Oilers is going to be challenging to say the least. From November 3 to November 26, they’ll be forced to play 10 of 12 games away from the friendly confines of Rexall Place. As if that wasn’t enough, they have a season-long seven-game road trip starting the day after Christmas. The trip starts in Vancouver, leads them all the way to Long Island, and has them visiting just about every city in between.
The Oilers aren’t blessed with many breaks on their schedule, so they’ll need to take advantage when the opportunity presents itself. From November 28 – December 9, the Oilers have a six-game homestand that they’ll need to make the most of. After winnable games in Minnesota and Colorado, they will face the Predators, Wild, Blue Jackets, Flames, Hurricanes and Avalanche at home. Needless to say, they’re going to need to make a dent in the standings over the two week stretch.
The team is traveling over 50,000 miles this season. Any analysis of the Oilers schedule should begin with the sheer distance the team will travel this season. They also have the most back-to-backs in the Northwest Division with 12. There’s no truth to the rumor that Steve Tambellini upset the league’s schedule makers.
The young Oilers will need to figure out a way to survive their nightmare November on the road. If they can tread water and take advantage of an easy schedule in early December, they may be able to stay in the race for the first half of the season. Then again, that seven-game road trip won’t make things easy either.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 6
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 15
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 56
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)