Sep 30, 2011, 3:50 PM EDT
Earlier today, Steve Staios was rewarded for a strong training camp with the Islanders on a tryout and given a one-year contract with the team. In Los Angeles, former Islanders forward Trent Hunter has done just the same inking a one-year contract with the Kings and locking down a spot in starting lineup. ESPN.com’s Pierre LeBrun reports the deal is worth $600,000.
Hunter spent eight seasons with the Islanders before being traded to the Devils this summer in the trade that sent Brian Rolston to Long Island. The Devils then bought Hunter out of his contract making him a free agent and after not getting any offers, he had to prove himself on a tryout with the Kings. Mission accomplished as Hunter had a great camp and beat out other hopefuls like Scott Parse for a job. Proper motivation can be a powerful thing and for Hunter the motivation to earn a contract got him to win a job.
Hunter will join another veteran in Ethan Moreau as older guys with experience to give L.A. the depth they need to be a major contender in the Western Conference. Instead of filling out ranks with guys from their AHL team that may not have been ready, guys like Moreau and Hunter give them NHL-experienced players to get the job done. The time is now to win in L.A. and having those kinds of players on the team help push that issue.
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 16
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 44
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 0
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 15
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 25
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- PFT: Gronk's arm infection clear after surgery
- HBT: Dodgers have 'no plans' to fire Mattingly
- PBT: Brothers assaulted for taking Lillard's photo?
- PBT: Nets reportedly 'hone in' on Grizzlies' Hollins
- CBT: Ex-Rutgers coach Rice seeks Lucas' counsel
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Cleary: 'We won't be exchanging Christmas cards'
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: Blackhawks bring the pain
- Play Video: Red Wings and BlackHawks fighting for control