Sep 29, 2011, 12:25 PM EDT
What would a player who averaged 13:15 time on ice per game last season and netted 10 goals and 26 points be worth to you as a pretend general manager? For Caps GM George McPhee that’s worthy of getting Jason Chimera to stick around for two more seasons at $3.5 million.
Sound iffy to you? Yeah, it’s a bit strange for us as well but the Caps have done their part to add that kind of gritty, get-your-uniform-dirty type of player to their roster to make them tougher in the playoffs. The Caps additions of Joel Ward and Troy Brouwer are good examples of that and having Chimera out there with the likes of Matt Hendricks hammers that home as well.
A roster with lots of these guys makes Washington a pain to play against, but is this the sort of money that should be paid out for a guy like that? Chimera is essentially a third line winger who is asked to be a pain to opposing scoring forwards and to lend speed and tenacity to the lineup. That kind of player has a value to a team looking to win, but is that value worth a $1.75 million cap hit for two years? That’s questionable.
In this case, the Caps are paying for what Chimera does on the ice and the character he brings to their locker room. Again, those are good things to have but overpaying for it just a bit seems risky in a salary cap world, especially one where the new CBA might alter the salary cap landscape again.
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 5
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 4
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 23
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 35
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 4
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 34
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)