Sep 29, 2011, 12:25 PM EDT
What would a player who averaged 13:15 time on ice per game last season and netted 10 goals and 26 points be worth to you as a pretend general manager? For Caps GM George McPhee that’s worthy of getting Jason Chimera to stick around for two more seasons at $3.5 million.
Sound iffy to you? Yeah, it’s a bit strange for us as well but the Caps have done their part to add that kind of gritty, get-your-uniform-dirty type of player to their roster to make them tougher in the playoffs. The Caps additions of Joel Ward and Troy Brouwer are good examples of that and having Chimera out there with the likes of Matt Hendricks hammers that home as well.
A roster with lots of these guys makes Washington a pain to play against, but is this the sort of money that should be paid out for a guy like that? Chimera is essentially a third line winger who is asked to be a pain to opposing scoring forwards and to lend speed and tenacity to the lineup. That kind of player has a value to a team looking to win, but is that value worth a $1.75 million cap hit for two years? That’s questionable.
In this case, the Caps are paying for what Chimera does on the ice and the character he brings to their locker room. Again, those are good things to have but overpaying for it just a bit seems risky in a salary cap world, especially one where the new CBA might alter the salary cap landscape again.
- Video: Mrazek makes astounding save, Stamkos brawls again 3
- 2015 Norris Trophy finalists: Doughty, Karlsson and Subban 21
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 22
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 12
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 73
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 50
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 39
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (87)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)