Sep 29, 2011, 12:25 PM EDT
What would a player who averaged 13:15 time on ice per game last season and netted 10 goals and 26 points be worth to you as a pretend general manager? For Caps GM George McPhee that’s worthy of getting Jason Chimera to stick around for two more seasons at $3.5 million.
Sound iffy to you? Yeah, it’s a bit strange for us as well but the Caps have done their part to add that kind of gritty, get-your-uniform-dirty type of player to their roster to make them tougher in the playoffs. The Caps additions of Joel Ward and Troy Brouwer are good examples of that and having Chimera out there with the likes of Matt Hendricks hammers that home as well.
A roster with lots of these guys makes Washington a pain to play against, but is this the sort of money that should be paid out for a guy like that? Chimera is essentially a third line winger who is asked to be a pain to opposing scoring forwards and to lend speed and tenacity to the lineup. That kind of player has a value to a team looking to win, but is that value worth a $1.75 million cap hit for two years? That’s questionable.
In this case, the Caps are paying for what Chimera does on the ice and the character he brings to their locker room. Again, those are good things to have but overpaying for it just a bit seems risky in a salary cap world, especially one where the new CBA might alter the salary cap landscape again.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 2
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)