Sep 29, 2011, 12:25 PM EDT
What would a player who averaged 13:15 time on ice per game last season and netted 10 goals and 26 points be worth to you as a pretend general manager? For Caps GM George McPhee that’s worthy of getting Jason Chimera to stick around for two more seasons at $3.5 million.
Sound iffy to you? Yeah, it’s a bit strange for us as well but the Caps have done their part to add that kind of gritty, get-your-uniform-dirty type of player to their roster to make them tougher in the playoffs. The Caps additions of Joel Ward and Troy Brouwer are good examples of that and having Chimera out there with the likes of Matt Hendricks hammers that home as well.
A roster with lots of these guys makes Washington a pain to play against, but is this the sort of money that should be paid out for a guy like that? Chimera is essentially a third line winger who is asked to be a pain to opposing scoring forwards and to lend speed and tenacity to the lineup. That kind of player has a value to a team looking to win, but is that value worth a $1.75 million cap hit for two years? That’s questionable.
In this case, the Caps are paying for what Chimera does on the ice and the character he brings to their locker room. Again, those are good things to have but overpaying for it just a bit seems risky in a salary cap world, especially one where the new CBA might alter the salary cap landscape again.
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 4
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 23
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 40
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 16
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 31
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 94
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 38
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 62
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 15
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (94)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (91)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- LIVE: Heat host Pacers in Game 1 of East finals
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games