Sep 29, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT
With the 2011-12 season rapidly approaching, the gang at PHT decided to take a look at all 30 NHL teams’ schedules. Each team’s highs and lows will be studied in detail to give you an idea of what the future might hold for each squad.
Columbus Blue Jackets schedule analysis
Total mileage: 42,831 (15th most miles in NHL and second most in the Central Division)
Back-to-back games: 16
The schedule is not kind to the Blue Jackets in January. They have a tough five game stretch that starts on New Year’s Eve against the Capitals and continues into a four game road-trip against the Sharks, Kings, Ducks, and Blackhawks. Worse yet, the three games in California will be in four nights. As if that wasn’t enough, later in the month Columbus faces their longest road trip of the season. Between January 21 and February 3, the Jackets visit six playoff teams on their six game road trip: Detroit, Nashville, Tampa Bay, San Jose, Los Angeles, and Anaheim. Again, the Jackets will be faced with three games in four nights during their California swing.
Usually, a team’s easiest stretch during the season would be their longest homestand. But when you’re longest homestand is only five games and features the likes of the Predators, Bruins, Canucks, Kings and Lightning—well, that’s not an easy stretch for any team. There’s a four game homestand between January 13-19 that should give Columbus an opportunity to earn a few points at home (even though there’s an odd home back-to-back situation).
But the time to watch Columbus will be the end of the season. In the early part of March, they have a home-and-home with Phoenix, a home-and-home with the Blues, and dates against the Avalanche and Oilers. Then they finish the season with games against the Panthers, Blues, Coyotes, Avs, and Islanders.
All in all, the Blue Jackets have an average schedule. Their total mileage for the season is average, it’s the middle of the pack for the Central Division. Their 16 back-t0-backs sound like a lot around the NHL, but only rank them third in the Central Division.
If the Jackets can keep their head above water for the first half of the season, they’ll be in a great position to streak towards a playoff spot at the end of the season. They’ll have plenty of winnable games in the last month of the season—so if they’re in the hunt, they’ll have a chance to make up ground against any of their competitors. Of course, the trick will be to stay in the hunt when they have a few tough stretches against tough teams.
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 9
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 17
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 55
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Cleary: 'We won't be exchanging Christmas cards'
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: Blackhawks bring the pain
- Play Video: Red Wings and BlackHawks fighting for control