Sep 29, 2011, 6:16 PM EDT
Chicago is suddenly having a hard time with injuries in the preseason and while that’s bad for the team in general, it’s a good thing they managed to draft pretty well back in June.
Viktor Stalberg is set to miss the next 2-3 weeks with a knee injury and Ben Smith is “day to day” according to coach Joel Quenneville after getting rocked by a head shot from Red Wings defenseman Brendan Smith. Those are tough developments for Chicago to handle, but the play of 2011 second round pick Brandon Saad is making Quenneville take notice of the 18 year-old’s skills.
CSNChicago’s Tracey Myers gets the word from the coach on how Saad is forcing him to take notice of his skills.
“Saader’s been one of those guys you appreciate what he can do,” Quenneville said. “Certainly his playing on the wing with Johnny (Toews) is a nice thing for him at this stage of camp. He’s been useful every time we’ve seen him on the ice. He continues to impress us. He’s got a chance.”
Playing with Toews can make a lot of guys look really good but for a second round pick who went into the draft with first round potential, it’s the chance of a lifetime to prove that he should’ve been taken sooner than 43rd. As a product who played for the U.S. National Development Team and is a product of the OHL’s Sarnia Sting, the Pennsylvania native wants to show that he can be a power forward right away. At 6’2″ 210 pounds and still incredibly young, if he isn’t ready now, he’ll be a monster in the years to come in Chicago.
As for his immediate future, if he doesn’t win a spot with the team out of camp, he can still get a nine-game look in Chicago to see if he can hack it before the team decides whether to send him back to junior hockey or not. Saad won’t be the only prospect to get that treatment, but getting a shot to do it in Chicago means getting a big start in a great situation.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 17
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)