Sep 29, 2011, 6:16 PM EDT
Chicago is suddenly having a hard time with injuries in the preseason and while that’s bad for the team in general, it’s a good thing they managed to draft pretty well back in June.
Viktor Stalberg is set to miss the next 2-3 weeks with a knee injury and Ben Smith is “day to day” according to coach Joel Quenneville after getting rocked by a head shot from Red Wings defenseman Brendan Smith. Those are tough developments for Chicago to handle, but the play of 2011 second round pick Brandon Saad is making Quenneville take notice of the 18 year-old’s skills.
CSNChicago’s Tracey Myers gets the word from the coach on how Saad is forcing him to take notice of his skills.
“Saader’s been one of those guys you appreciate what he can do,” Quenneville said. “Certainly his playing on the wing with Johnny (Toews) is a nice thing for him at this stage of camp. He’s been useful every time we’ve seen him on the ice. He continues to impress us. He’s got a chance.”
Playing with Toews can make a lot of guys look really good but for a second round pick who went into the draft with first round potential, it’s the chance of a lifetime to prove that he should’ve been taken sooner than 43rd. As a product who played for the U.S. National Development Team and is a product of the OHL’s Sarnia Sting, the Pennsylvania native wants to show that he can be a power forward right away. At 6’2″ 210 pounds and still incredibly young, if he isn’t ready now, he’ll be a monster in the years to come in Chicago.
As for his immediate future, if he doesn’t win a spot with the team out of camp, he can still get a nine-game look in Chicago to see if he can hack it before the team decides whether to send him back to junior hockey or not. Saad won’t be the only prospect to get that treatment, but getting a shot to do it in Chicago means getting a big start in a great situation.
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 1
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 26
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)