Sep 29, 2011, 2:20 PM EDT
The update on what’s going on after last night’s Smith-on-Smith crime from last night is pretty straight up. CSNChicago’s Tracey Myers gets the update on Ben Smith‘s condition from coach Joel Quenneville and it’s mysterious at best.
Quenneville reports that Smith is doing OK but he’s “day to day” with what’s presumed to be a concussion. The hit from Detroit’s Brendan Smith that knocked Ben Smith out on the ice was a vicious blow to the head not unlike those we’ve seen in the past to other players that put them out for a spell with a concussion.
As for Detroit’s Smith, he’s set to have a face-to-face meeting with NHL player safety disciplinary czar Brendan Shanahan later today. Face-to-face meetings tend to indicate that a suspension of more than five games is on the way and given how Shanahan has done things already in the preseason, Smith is going to get a sizable suspension. The Shana-ban is coming.
Even though Smith has no prior record and is likely headed back to the AHL, he violated Rule 48 and delivered an awful hit to the head of an opponent that led to an injury. He’ll get a big suspension.
- Risk Factors: St. Louis Blues edition 5
- Ryan agrees to seven-year, $50.75 million extension 16
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 37
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 10
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (37)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Pittsburgh releases Daniel Carcillo from tryout (24)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)