Sep 29, 2011, 11:20 PM EDT
With the 2011-12 season rapidly approaching, the gang at PHT decided to take a look at all 30 NHL teams’ schedules. Each team’s highs and lows will be studied in detail to give you an idea of what the future might hold for each squad.
Colorado Avalanche schedule analysis
Total mileage: 48,945 (eighth most miles in NHL and 3rd most in the Northwest Division)
Back-to-back games: 10
People around the Avalanche probably won’t be saying Happy 2012 come January. The team doesn’t play consecutive games at home for the entire month which means the team will basically be living out of a suitcase. They play an eight game stretch between December 31 and January 16 when they play in eight different cities. As if that wasn’t difficult enough, all but one of the games will be against Western Conference opponents. Needless to say, they’ll need to figure out a way to keep their head above water throughout the month.
Take January and combine it with an Eastern Conference road trip at the beginning of the season and it will be important for the Avalanche to maintain a bit of consistency.
There’s no question the Avalanche will need to take advantage of their eight-game homestand between November 18 and December 4. Unfortunately for the Avs, they’ll need to deal with the Sharks and Canucks at the beginning of the homestand and the Red Wings to close the home dates. Depending on how individual teams perform, Colorado could have a relatively easy stretch at the end of October/beginning of November with games against the Flames, Oilers, Kings, Coyotes, and Stars. They’ll need to beat the other fringe playoff teams in the Western Conference if they want to sneak into one of the last playoff spots.
Unfortunately for the young Avalanche team, they’re season could be over almost as quickly as it gets started. After the opening night game at home against the Red Wings, they’ll have a tough five-game Eastern Conference road trip. When they return, they’ll be greeted by a home-and-home with the Chicago Blackhawks. The season could be a nightmare before Halloween. Like just about every other team in the Northwest Division, they’ll spend plenty of time flying from city to city. If they want to compete for a playoff spot, they’ll have to beat up on the likes of the Oilers, Flames, and Wild during their six interdivisional games. Otherwise, they’ll be counting the miles from Pepsi Center to the 2012 Entry Draft in Pittsburgh.
May 18, 2013, 9:09 PM EDT
Matt Greene isn’t playing in Game 3, either.
May 18, 2013, 8:11 PM EDT
Dennis Seidenberg likely out, Wade Redden’s a game-time decision.
May 18, 2013, 7:22 PM EDT
His club’s down 0-2 to the Kings…
May 18, 2013, 6:33 PM EDT
Their critical press release fund must be dry.
May 18, 2013, 6:01 PM EDT
Is that “grossly unfair,” too?
May 18, 2013, 4:50 PM EDT
The captain cares not for the rough stuff.
May 18, 2013, 4:22 PM EDT
Flying through the air going five-hole? Yes.
May 18, 2013, 4:00 PM EDT
It’s their first finals appearance since 1935.
May 18, 2013, 3:35 PM EDT
The comments are now open.
May 18, 2013, 2:44 PM EDT
Lineup shuffles are on the way.
May 18, 2013, 2:10 PM EDT
It’s his call whether to go or not.
May 18, 2013, 1:45 PM EDT
On-ice chatter at its best.
May 18, 2013, 12:51 PM EDT
He missed 12 games with a broken thumb.
May 18, 2013, 12:11 PM EDT
Cap troubles and no-trade clauses abound.
May 18, 2013, 11:20 AM EDT
He’ll need three months rehab for a third-degree MCL sprain.
May 18, 2013, 10:32 AM EDT
A preview of today’s games is ahead.
May 18, 2013, 9:44 AM EDT
Selke finalists show us how it’s done.
May 18, 2013, 1:47 AM EDT
Boston leads New York 1-0 in the series.
May 18, 2013, 12:45 AM EDT
Oh, the mystery.
May 18, 2013, 12:19 AM EDT
Ottawa has yet to play with the lead in this series.
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 24
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 33
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 24
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 25
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Discuss: Penguins defeat Senators in Game 2; lead series 2-0 40
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators 91
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- Live Extra: Watch Game 3 between Sharks, Kings
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal
- Play Video: IIHF highlights: Sweden 3, Finland 0
- Play Video: Highlights: Crosby's hat-trick leads Pens in Game 2
- Play Video: Vokoun robs Greening
- Play Video: Crosby scores twice early on in Game 2