Sep 29, 2011, 1:21 PM EDT
With both Plante and Markstrom being former second round picks by the Panthers, it was a battle between prospects with different expectations as Plante is three years older than Markstrom and Markstrom being marked as the future golden boy for the Panthers organization.
With all that said, the temporary backup job goes to… Jacob Markstrom. Tyler Plante was placed on waivers for the purpose of sending him to the AHL meaning that Markstrom will start the year with the new look Panthers and back up Theodore. Markstrom will likely get to start one or two games before Clemmensen makes his return to action so this isn’t exactly earth-shattering news.
Still for Markstrom, he’ll get the chance to show coach Kevin Dineen and GM Dale Tallon what he’s learned during the offseason. He got the chance to start in one game late last season for Florida giving up two goals and taking a loss against Tampa Bay. If Markstrom plays impressively, he’ll head back to San Antonio giving the Panthers a lot to think about going forward. Markstrom will need a lot of action again this year to get his game into form but earning the win over Plante in camp means good things for him as he evolves into an eventual NHL starting goalie.
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 3
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 19
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 17
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 57
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (69)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (59)