Sep 28, 2011, 10:44 PM EDT
And you thought Brendan Shanahan might have a quiet day tomorrow, didn’t you?
In the third period of tonight’s preseason game between the Red Wings and Blackhawks, Wings defenseman Brendan Smith caught Hawks forward Ben Smith in the head with an elbow, putting him out on the ice. Detroit’s Smith was kicked out of the game with a game misconduct and assessed a match penalty. Chicago’s Smith was helped off the ice with an expected head injury.
While it appeared that Smith didn’t connect with the elbow on purpose, catching a player in the head like that is going to get the attention of Shanahan. The NHL’s new player safety disciplinarian has already handed out seven suspensions during the preseason and Brendan Smith will likely be the eighth.
Brendan Smith was likely headed back to the AHL so his suspension in the NHL would have to be put on hold. As far as we understand it, the AHL can uphold any suspension but no matter what, Smith would have to serve whatever he’s given in the NHL regardless. Expect his preseason to be over with after this hit.
Here’s video of the hit courtesy of CSNChicago.com:
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 0
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 20
- Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 26
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 3
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 1
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)