Sep 28, 2011, 10:44 PM EDT
And you thought Brendan Shanahan might have a quiet day tomorrow, didn’t you?
In the third period of tonight’s preseason game between the Red Wings and Blackhawks, Wings defenseman Brendan Smith caught Hawks forward Ben Smith in the head with an elbow, putting him out on the ice. Detroit’s Smith was kicked out of the game with a game misconduct and assessed a match penalty. Chicago’s Smith was helped off the ice with an expected head injury.
While it appeared that Smith didn’t connect with the elbow on purpose, catching a player in the head like that is going to get the attention of Shanahan. The NHL’s new player safety disciplinarian has already handed out seven suspensions during the preseason and Brendan Smith will likely be the eighth.
Brendan Smith was likely headed back to the AHL so his suspension in the NHL would have to be put on hold. As far as we understand it, the AHL can uphold any suspension but no matter what, Smith would have to serve whatever he’s given in the NHL regardless. Expect his preseason to be over with after this hit.
Here’s video of the hit courtesy of CSNChicago.com:
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (106)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)