Sep 28, 2011, 10:44 PM EDT
And you thought Brendan Shanahan might have a quiet day tomorrow, didn’t you?
In the third period of tonight’s preseason game between the Red Wings and Blackhawks, Wings defenseman Brendan Smith caught Hawks forward Ben Smith in the head with an elbow, putting him out on the ice. Detroit’s Smith was kicked out of the game with a game misconduct and assessed a match penalty. Chicago’s Smith was helped off the ice with an expected head injury.
While it appeared that Smith didn’t connect with the elbow on purpose, catching a player in the head like that is going to get the attention of Shanahan. The NHL’s new player safety disciplinarian has already handed out seven suspensions during the preseason and Brendan Smith will likely be the eighth.
Brendan Smith was likely headed back to the AHL so his suspension in the NHL would have to be put on hold. As far as we understand it, the AHL can uphold any suspension but no matter what, Smith would have to serve whatever he’s given in the NHL regardless. Expect his preseason to be over with after this hit.
Here’s video of the hit courtesy of CSNChicago.com:
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 45
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)