Sep 28, 2011, 2:19 PM EDT
Many people believe that Pavel Datsyuk is “underrated,” but considering the cascades of adoration that come his way, that’s a little off. (Now, if you say that he doesn’t get the proper amount of Hart Trophy consideration, then you might be onto something.)
Nope, when it comes to Detroit Red Wings forwards who should get a little more attention, the list might start with Danny Cleary. Despite averaging just 1:32 minutes of power play time per game in 2010-11, Cleary scored 26 goals and 46 points (both career-highs) in 68 games. That’s more than a 31 goal and 55-point pace over a full 82-game season.
Unfortunately, Cleary hasn’t been able to make a bigger impact because of injury concerns. He missed 14 games last season, 18 games in 09-10, 8 in 08-09 and 19 in 07-08.
Hopefully this is just a blip on the radar rather than a sign of more health troubles to come, but Helene St. James reports that Cleary will miss the rest of the preseason (four exhibition games) with an upper-body injury. Red Wings GM Ken Holland said he hopes that Cleary will be ready for the regular season opener against the Ottawa Senators on Oct. 7, but we shall see.
(H/T to Kukla’s Korner.)
- Five big games to watch this weekend 1
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 28
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 28
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 34
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 14
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 51
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 16
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (51)