Sep 27, 2011, 3:39 PM EDT
We know all about how Wayne Simmonds and Sean Avery made acquaintances last night in the most awkward of ways as Simmonds allegedly hurled a homophobic slur at Avery in the heat of battle. While Simmonds had a meeting with Colin Campbell this morning to discuss the incident and what went down.
The guy we haven’t heard from about this whole mess was Wayne Simmonds himself. Today after practice, Simmonds did talk about things and Philly.com’s Sam Carchidi was on the spot with what went down.
Flyers winger Wayne Simmonds strongly denied Sean Avery’s claim that he directed a gay slur at the Rangers’ forward in Monday’s exhibition game.
Simmonds said he became incensed when he heard Avery say, “I really don’t want to have to kill f—ing (Claude) Giroux,” among other comments.
All right, all right… He said, he said incidents are all fun and games, but Simmonds was pretty clearly busted on video saying something terrible to Avery. Unless Simmonds was saying something you’d hear in a poorly dubbed movie on basic cable, it’s pretty clear that he was saying what we think he said to Avery.
Fessing up to saying something like that is difficult for anyone to do, but it’s probably better for Simmonds to not say anything about what happened rather than say something where we can point to the video evidence and say differently. We’ll see if the NHL has anything to say about the whole thing but it seems inevitable that Simmonds will get fined for the outburst.
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 12
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 6
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 34
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)