Sep 27, 2011, 6:36 PM EST
No one escapes the ever-watchful eye of league disciplinarian Brendan Shanahan. Anaheim’s J.F. Jacques was the guy busted by the NHL this time around as he made a legal line change in a preseason game against Vancouver for the express purpose of starting a fight with Canucks forward Mike Duco in the waning minutes of their game.
While instigating a fight in the final five minutes earned Jacques at least a one game ban, Shanahan stepped things up severely suspending Jacques for the rest of the preseason and the first five games of the regular season, eight games in all. Jacques will give up $17,567.55 for the time he’ll be sitting out and that money goes to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.
The suspension is already the sixth one handed down by Shanahan in the preseason as Jacques will join Pierre-Luc Letorneau-Leblond, Jody Shelley, James Wisniewski, Brad Staubitz, and Brad Boyes on Shanahan’s hit list. Shanahan is again showing no mercy in sitting players down who run afoul of the law and that no bad deed or illegal play will go unpunished.
If you’d like to see video of Shanahan’s explanation as to why Jacques is getting suspended so fiercely, you can check it out here:
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 1
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 1
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 59
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 24
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 127
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (127)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc (59)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)