Sep 26, 2011, 6:29 PM EST
It might take a season (or more) to tell if the NHL’s revamped disciplinary procedures actually deter dirty hits, but if nothing else, the league is being more vigilant in the preseason. Minnesota Wild forward Brad Staubitz is the latest player to receive a suspension while we await word regarding what will happen to Columbus Blue Jackets defenseman James Wisniewski, who was part of an incident in the same game.
The NHL suspended Staubitz for the remainder of the preseason as well as three regular season games for his hit from behind on Cody Bass on Sept. 23. The incident took place at the 4:24 mark of the third period of that game. Staubitz will lose $9,324.33 because of the games he will miss.
Staubitz already missed a Sept. 24 exhibition against the Pittsburgh Penguins as the league mulled over his punishment. He’ll sit out three other preseason games: Tuesday’s home game against St. Louis, another game against Columbus on Thursday and their final meaningless contest against Edmonton on Friday. Most importantly, he’ll miss the Wild’s season opener on Oct. 8 against (you guessed it) Columbus, an Oct. 10 match against the Islanders at Nassau Coliseum and an away game against Ottawa on Oct. 11.
Staubitz won’t be eligible to return to NHL action until the Wild host the Oilers on Oct. 13. Here’s head disciplinarian Brendan Shanahan’s explanation for the Staubitz suspension.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 120
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (120)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)