Sep 25, 2011, 4:55 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins must be delighted that Evgeni Malkin is showing signs of being Evgeni Malkin again. Even so, the team’s ceiling will rise to undeniable Stanley Cup contender heights if Sidney Crosby can be reasonably healthy during the 2011-12 season.
Crosby still has quite a way to go before that happens – the Penguins center continues to wear a white “no contact” helmet in practices – but many are heartened by the news that he participated in a “controlled scrimmage” today. The Associated Press reports that this represented Crosby’s first five-on-five exposure since training camp started, as he took face-offs and executed set plays in even strength situations.
For the most part, he’s been pushing himself hard in workouts, but there’s no clear time table on when he might risk taking contact again. Either way, this seems like a reason for optimism. Crosby, for one, seems excited about his progress.
“Everything’s been really good,” Crosby said. “I haven’t ran into any issues so far so it’s been pretty smooth.”
Crosby has worked relentlessly during the first week of camp during drills, often to the point of exhaustion.
“I think it’s been a lot of fun just being out there and competing and doing typical things you’re used to doing as a hockey player,” he said.
We’ll have to wait and see how much longer he’ll have to wait to be a hockey player in a regular season game again, though.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 9
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 72
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)