Sep 25, 2011, 3:10 PM EDT
In what Philadelphia Flyers’ coach Peter Laviolette called “a very scary situation,” winger Scott Hartnell sat out the third period of Saturday’s preseason game against the Detroit Red Wings with an elevated heart rate.
CSNPhilly.com’s Tim Panaccio reports that Hartnell will see a cardiologist on Tuesday to try to identify the problem. He had an initial exam on Saturday, with the results being negative. Hartnell reportedly won’t play in the Flyers next exhibition game on Monday, which is certainly a reasonable precautionary measure.
Flyers GM Paul Holmgren explained that Hartnell’s heart rate was elevated between the second and third periods, with it taking “far too long” for it to return to normal.
Hartnell didn’t discuss his issues, talking only about soreness and that he’ll receive a “maintenance day.”
“Just a maintenance day, just a little sore,” he said. “Soreness everywhere. First couple weeks of the season everyone is having a tweak muscle here and there and it’s better to be safe than sorry.”
Holmgren said soreness was not the issue here.
“We’re getting him checked out, I’m sure it was a scary situation for Scott,” Holmgren said. “He had an elevated heart rate. We don’t know [what happened]. It wouldn’t go down even after rest during the intermission. We held him off [the ice].”
Hopefully Hartnell’s condition doesn’t force him to miss significant amounts of time (or worse). We’ll keep an eye out for updates next week.
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 11
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 12
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 13
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 6
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)