Sep 25, 2011, 3:10 PM EDT
In what Philadelphia Flyers’ coach Peter Laviolette called “a very scary situation,” winger Scott Hartnell sat out the third period of Saturday’s preseason game against the Detroit Red Wings with an elevated heart rate.
CSNPhilly.com’s Tim Panaccio reports that Hartnell will see a cardiologist on Tuesday to try to identify the problem. He had an initial exam on Saturday, with the results being negative. Hartnell reportedly won’t play in the Flyers next exhibition game on Monday, which is certainly a reasonable precautionary measure.
Flyers GM Paul Holmgren explained that Hartnell’s heart rate was elevated between the second and third periods, with it taking “far too long” for it to return to normal.
Hartnell didn’t discuss his issues, talking only about soreness and that he’ll receive a “maintenance day.”
“Just a maintenance day, just a little sore,” he said. “Soreness everywhere. First couple weeks of the season everyone is having a tweak muscle here and there and it’s better to be safe than sorry.”
Holmgren said soreness was not the issue here.
“We’re getting him checked out, I’m sure it was a scary situation for Scott,” Holmgren said. “He had an elevated heart rate. We don’t know [what happened]. It wouldn’t go down even after rest during the intermission. We held him off [the ice].”
Hopefully Hartnell’s condition doesn’t force him to miss significant amounts of time (or worse). We’ll keep an eye out for updates next week.
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 2
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 10
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 34
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 6
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 114
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 55
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 7
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 14
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 42
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 20