Sep 25, 2011, 3:10 PM EDT
In what Philadelphia Flyers’ coach Peter Laviolette called “a very scary situation,” winger Scott Hartnell sat out the third period of Saturday’s preseason game against the Detroit Red Wings with an elevated heart rate.
CSNPhilly.com’s Tim Panaccio reports that Hartnell will see a cardiologist on Tuesday to try to identify the problem. He had an initial exam on Saturday, with the results being negative. Hartnell reportedly won’t play in the Flyers next exhibition game on Monday, which is certainly a reasonable precautionary measure.
Flyers GM Paul Holmgren explained that Hartnell’s heart rate was elevated between the second and third periods, with it taking “far too long” for it to return to normal.
Hartnell didn’t discuss his issues, talking only about soreness and that he’ll receive a “maintenance day.”
“Just a maintenance day, just a little sore,” he said. “Soreness everywhere. First couple weeks of the season everyone is having a tweak muscle here and there and it’s better to be safe than sorry.”
Holmgren said soreness was not the issue here.
“We’re getting him checked out, I’m sure it was a scary situation for Scott,” Holmgren said. “He had an elevated heart rate. We don’t know [what happened]. It wouldn’t go down even after rest during the intermission. We held him off [the ice].”
Hopefully Hartnell’s condition doesn’t force him to miss significant amounts of time (or worse). We’ll keep an eye out for updates next week.
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 2
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 16
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 28
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 9
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 106
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (106)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)