Sep 25, 2011, 3:10 PM EDT
In what Philadelphia Flyers’ coach Peter Laviolette called “a very scary situation,” winger Scott Hartnell sat out the third period of Saturday’s preseason game against the Detroit Red Wings with an elevated heart rate.
CSNPhilly.com’s Tim Panaccio reports that Hartnell will see a cardiologist on Tuesday to try to identify the problem. He had an initial exam on Saturday, with the results being negative. Hartnell reportedly won’t play in the Flyers next exhibition game on Monday, which is certainly a reasonable precautionary measure.
Flyers GM Paul Holmgren explained that Hartnell’s heart rate was elevated between the second and third periods, with it taking “far too long” for it to return to normal.
Hartnell didn’t discuss his issues, talking only about soreness and that he’ll receive a “maintenance day.”
“Just a maintenance day, just a little sore,” he said. “Soreness everywhere. First couple weeks of the season everyone is having a tweak muscle here and there and it’s better to be safe than sorry.”
Holmgren said soreness was not the issue here.
“We’re getting him checked out, I’m sure it was a scary situation for Scott,” Holmgren said. “He had an elevated heart rate. We don’t know [what happened]. It wouldn’t go down even after rest during the intermission. We held him off [the ice].”
Hopefully Hartnell’s condition doesn’t force him to miss significant amounts of time (or worse). We’ll keep an eye out for updates next week.
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 22
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 46
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 78
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 9
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 11
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Discuss: Bruins smother ‘Hawks, take 2-1 series lead 92
- Marian Hossa won’t play in Game 3 11
- Report: Flyers, Streit agree to four-year, $21 million deal 39
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires