Sep 25, 2011, 3:10 PM EDT
In what Philadelphia Flyers’ coach Peter Laviolette called “a very scary situation,” winger Scott Hartnell sat out the third period of Saturday’s preseason game against the Detroit Red Wings with an elevated heart rate.
CSNPhilly.com’s Tim Panaccio reports that Hartnell will see a cardiologist on Tuesday to try to identify the problem. He had an initial exam on Saturday, with the results being negative. Hartnell reportedly won’t play in the Flyers next exhibition game on Monday, which is certainly a reasonable precautionary measure.
Flyers GM Paul Holmgren explained that Hartnell’s heart rate was elevated between the second and third periods, with it taking “far too long” for it to return to normal.
Hartnell didn’t discuss his issues, talking only about soreness and that he’ll receive a “maintenance day.”
“Just a maintenance day, just a little sore,” he said. “Soreness everywhere. First couple weeks of the season everyone is having a tweak muscle here and there and it’s better to be safe than sorry.”
Holmgren said soreness was not the issue here.
“We’re getting him checked out, I’m sure it was a scary situation for Scott,” Holmgren said. “He had an elevated heart rate. We don’t know [what happened]. It wouldn’t go down even after rest during the intermission. We held him off [the ice].”
Hopefully Hartnell’s condition doesn’t force him to miss significant amounts of time (or worse). We’ll keep an eye out for updates next week.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)