Sep 25, 2011, 4:45 PM EDT
It might be “just” the preseason, but new head disciplinarian Brendan Shanahan is using these exhibition games to set the tone for the league’s revamped policies going into the 2010-11 season. Shanahan handed heavy punishments to Jody Shelley and Pierre-Luc Letourneau-Leblond for illegal hits and suspended James Wisniewski and Brad Staubitz indefinitely for incidents they were involved in.
While a handy video of the illegal hit won’t be available until later this evening, Shanahan & Co. decided to deal out yet another punishment today. Buffalo Sabres forward Brad Boyes will sit out two preseason games for an illegal hit to the head on Toronto Maple Leafs center Joe Colborne.
That check happened 1:46 into the first period. There was no penalty on that check, which you can see here. It didn’t look like an excessively ugly hit, but these are still the kind of blows that the NHL hope to phase out of the game.
This suspension means that Boyes won’t play in Columbus tonight and Washington on Friday, but he’ll be available for an exhibition game against Adler in Manheim, Germany on Oct. 4.
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 20
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 13
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 8
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 37
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 24
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)