Sep 25, 2011, 5:27 PM EDT
While the Brad Richards–Marian Gaborik duo was a smash-hit in their preseason debut Friday, another smash hit might make things a little bit tougher for the New York Rangers’ defense. That check happened late in the 2010-11 season, when Eric Staal clobbered his brother Marc, giving his younger sibling a concussion that he’s still dealing with.
As we speculated on Friday, Rangers head coach John Tortorella confirmed that Marc Staal won’t make the team’s initial trip to Europe. On the bright side, Tortorella didn’t rule the crucial defenseman out of appearing in the season opener against the Los Angeles Kings on Oct. 7 in Stockholm, Sweden.
Tortorella told reporters that he’ll provide an update in less than a week, as Staal continues to meet with concussion specialists. There’s always the chance that he could join the team in Europe in a week or so, although that’s far from a guarantee.
“He will not be on the trip,” Tortorella told the Rangers official website Sunday. “We are hoping as he continues his procedures with the specialists that I will have an update in 4-5 days. We’re gonna try and get him on the trip. Once he’s ready to do all the stuff we want him to do to prepare for the regular season, we’ll have him come out.”
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 4
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 32
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 40
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 157
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 5
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (160)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)