Sep 25, 2011, 5:27 PM EST
While the Brad Richards-Marian Gaborik duo was a smash-hit in their preseason debut Friday, another smash hit might make things a little bit tougher for the New York Rangers’ defense. That check happened late in the 2010-11 season, when Eric Staal clobbered his brother Marc, giving his younger sibling a concussion that he’s still dealing with.
As we speculated on Friday, Rangers head coach John Tortorella confirmed that Marc Staal won’t make the team’s initial trip to Europe. On the bright side, Tortorella didn’t rule the crucial defenseman out of appearing in the season opener against the Los Angeles Kings on Oct. 7 in Stockholm, Sweden.
Tortorella told reporters that he’ll provide an update in less than a week, as Staal continues to meet with concussion specialists. There’s always the chance that he could join the team in Europe in a week or so, although that’s far from a guarantee.
“He will not be on the trip,” Tortorella told the Rangers official website Sunday. “We are hoping as he continues his procedures with the specialists that I will have an update in 4-5 days. We’re gonna try and get him on the trip. Once he’s ready to do all the stuff we want him to do to prepare for the regular season, we’ll have him come out.”
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 2
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 57
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 80
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Video: Penguins hold on to beat Capitals for first time this season 29
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (81)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)