Sep 25, 2011, 5:27 PM EDT
While the Brad Richards-Marian Gaborik duo was a smash-hit in their preseason debut Friday, another smash hit might make things a little bit tougher for the New York Rangers’ defense. That check happened late in the 2010-11 season, when Eric Staal clobbered his brother Marc, giving his younger sibling a concussion that he’s still dealing with.
As we speculated on Friday, Rangers head coach John Tortorella confirmed that Marc Staal won’t make the team’s initial trip to Europe. On the bright side, Tortorella didn’t rule the crucial defenseman out of appearing in the season opener against the Los Angeles Kings on Oct. 7 in Stockholm, Sweden.
Tortorella told reporters that he’ll provide an update in less than a week, as Staal continues to meet with concussion specialists. There’s always the chance that he could join the team in Europe in a week or so, although that’s far from a guarantee.
“He will not be on the trip,” Tortorella told the Rangers official website Sunday. “We are hoping as he continues his procedures with the specialists that I will have an update in 4-5 days. We’re gonna try and get him on the trip. Once he’s ready to do all the stuff we want him to do to prepare for the regular season, we’ll have him come out.”
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 0
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 1
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 32
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)