Sep 24, 2011, 4:44 PM EDT
While we’ve seen Max Pacioretty make his return to the ice with Montreal recently, the other half of the equation from their terrible incident back in March, Zdeno Chara, might be making an appearance in Montreal on Monday.
The Bruins have back-to-back games against Montreal coming up with one in Nova Scotia on Sunday night and the other in Montreal on Monday. Chara will be playing in one of those games. Could the Bruins actually suit him up in Montreal? Yes, they could and for Chara he tells CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty that he looks forward to playing in front of the crazy fans in Quebec.
“It really doesn’t matter to me where I play. It’s all the same. They’re going to do what they’re going to do,” said Chara, when asked if he had any apprehension about playing a preseason game at the Bell Centre after last year’s wild season series against the Canadiens. “I know that I did nothing wrong. I’ll always play the same way and that’s not going to change. I play hard and I play clean. I’ll do that if I play there, or anywhere else.”
Canadiens fans are sure to disagree with Chara about how that play with Pacioretty went down and they certainly don’t like how he plays the game, but that’s what happens in a rivalry. The great players on the opposing team are hated and Chara is most certainly Public Enemy #1 in Montreal.
You might wonder why the Bruins would potentially invite that sort of spectacle to a preseason game. Fact is, no matter when Chara plays in Montreal the game is going to be some kind of wild spectacle. Getting it out of the way in a preseason game will at least make that first game in the regular season a bit less of a zoo.
Getting Chara locked in and focused for the start of the season probably isn’t necessary, but giving him his first taste of the hate that will be rained down upon him in Montreal would certainly serve to be a hell of a way to get the competitive fire lit for the Bruins captain.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 17
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 23
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 94
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5