Sep 24, 2011, 12:58 PM EDT
Safe to say that Brendan Shanahan is going to be diligent with his new job as the NHL disciplinarian.
Last night’s preseason game between Columbus and Minnesota yielded two separate incidents that caught Shanahan’s attention leading to suspensions. Wild forward Brad Staubitz was given a five-minute major for checking from behind and a game misconduct early in the third period of last night’s game leading Shanahan to suspend him indefinitely pending review of the incident.
Blue Jackets defenseman James Wisniewski caught Wild forward Cal Clutterbuck with an illegal blow to the head at the conclusion of last night’s game also earning him an indefinite suspension pending review.
Under Shanahan’s watch, these are the third and fourth suspensions he’s handed out. The first was Calgary’s Pierre-Luc Letorneau-Leblond getting sat down for six games while Philadelphia’s Jody Shelley was given a ten game ban for his hit from behind on Toronto’s Darryl Boyce.
At this point if players don’t realize they’re dealing with a different kind of ruler in Shanahan, they’re foolish. Shanahan’s position as a recent player in the league is clearly not affecting his judgment in handing out suspensions. Fans and players who were hoping to see normalcy put in place regarding discipline are getting their wish as Shanahan is showing no mercy. Here’s to hoping that fans won’t get up in arms when their players come under fire.
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 36
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 27
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 3
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 12
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 40
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 18
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 13
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 61
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 25