Sep 24, 2011, 12:58 PM EDT
Safe to say that Brendan Shanahan is going to be diligent with his new job as the NHL disciplinarian.
Last night’s preseason game between Columbus and Minnesota yielded two separate incidents that caught Shanahan’s attention leading to suspensions. Wild forward Brad Staubitz was given a five-minute major for checking from behind and a game misconduct early in the third period of last night’s game leading Shanahan to suspend him indefinitely pending review of the incident.
Blue Jackets defenseman James Wisniewski caught Wild forward Cal Clutterbuck with an illegal blow to the head at the conclusion of last night’s game also earning him an indefinite suspension pending review.
Under Shanahan’s watch, these are the third and fourth suspensions he’s handed out. The first was Calgary’s Pierre-Luc Letorneau-Leblond getting sat down for six games while Philadelphia’s Jody Shelley was given a ten game ban for his hit from behind on Toronto’s Darryl Boyce.
At this point if players don’t realize they’re dealing with a different kind of ruler in Shanahan, they’re foolish. Shanahan’s position as a recent player in the league is clearly not affecting his judgment in handing out suspensions. Fans and players who were hoping to see normalcy put in place regarding discipline are getting their wish as Shanahan is showing no mercy. Here’s to hoping that fans won’t get up in arms when their players come under fire.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)