Sep 24, 2011, 12:58 PM EDT
Safe to say that Brendan Shanahan is going to be diligent with his new job as the NHL disciplinarian.
Last night’s preseason game between Columbus and Minnesota yielded two separate incidents that caught Shanahan’s attention leading to suspensions. Wild forward Brad Staubitz was given a five-minute major for checking from behind and a game misconduct early in the third period of last night’s game leading Shanahan to suspend him indefinitely pending review of the incident.
Blue Jackets defenseman James Wisniewski caught Wild forward Cal Clutterbuck with an illegal blow to the head at the conclusion of last night’s game also earning him an indefinite suspension pending review.
Under Shanahan’s watch, these are the third and fourth suspensions he’s handed out. The first was Calgary’s Pierre-Luc Letorneau-Leblond getting sat down for six games while Philadelphia’s Jody Shelley was given a ten game ban for his hit from behind on Toronto’s Darryl Boyce.
At this point if players don’t realize they’re dealing with a different kind of ruler in Shanahan, they’re foolish. Shanahan’s position as a recent player in the league is clearly not affecting his judgment in handing out suspensions. Fans and players who were hoping to see normalcy put in place regarding discipline are getting their wish as Shanahan is showing no mercy. Here’s to hoping that fans won’t get up in arms when their players come under fire.
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 4
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 57
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)