Sep 23, 2011, 9:15 AM EST
Our long national mystery will all be over on Monday. The NHL has called for a major announcement to be made on Monday, September 26 at Citizens Bank Park in Philadelphia.
Either the Phoenix Coyotes are moving to Philly to play outdoors all the time or the NHL is going to make the 2012 Winter Classic between the Flyers and Rangers official.
After all the speculation and all the acceptance that this was going to be the game featuring these teams, the league will make it official as both the Rangers and Flyers will be in Philadelphia that day for a preseason game and the Phillies are on the road against the Atlanta Braves.
If you’re still in the skeptical camp about the game (and why would you be?) Enrico Campitelli from The 700 Level snapped a photo of the 2012 Winter Classic logo being tested out on the scoreboard screen at Citizens Bank Park before a Phillies-Nationals game. That should just about confirm everything in that case.
As CSNPhilly.com’s Sarah Baicker says, while previous announcements have seen some details left to be found out later on, there’s a possibility we’ll get to find it all out on Monday.
There are no details yet on what exactly will occur during the conference, but we’ve got a hunch the two team’s Classic jerseys could be – again, finally – revealed. After all, by this time last year, we knew most details regarding the Pittsburgh Penguins-Washington Capitals game.
Perhaps we can get to see Marian Gaborik and Daniel Briere try to slap shot pucks over the fences at the park just for fun the way the Capitals and Penguins shot pucks through the uprights at Heinz Field. If you’re not going to give us all the details, at least entertain the heck out of us with silliness.
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 8
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 11
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 12
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 1
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 11
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 46
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 19
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 23
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 33