Sep 22, 2011, 12:19 PM EDT
For all the blustery, long-term risks the Columbus Blue Jackets made during this off-season, their short-term goaltending gambles might be their undoing.
If GM Scott Howson really did enough to improve the team in front of embattled would-be franchise goalie Steve Mason, then maybe these concerns will evaporate. Still, it’s worrisome that Mason has been (at best) an average NHL goalie since his Calder Trophy season in 2008-09 – especially after solid backup Mathieu Garon departed to the Tampa Bay Lightning.
Things could get ugly if the Blue Jackets are forced to lean on a backup. That was already true heading into training camp, but now the situation looks even more dire considering Mark Dekanich‘s high-ankle sprain. The Columbus Dispatch’s Aaron Portzline reports that Dekanich will be sidelined for about a month with the injury, which opens the door for former St. Louis Blues and Vancouver Canucks backup Curtis Sanford to get another crack at NHL time.
Sanford hasn’t played in the NHL since he went 7-8-0 with a .906 save percentage and 2.59 for the Canucks in 08-09. His overall record is 37-37-11 with a .901 career save percentage and 2.76 GAA.
In a way, Sanford is actually a safer backup than the reasonably well-liked prospect Dekanich, who has one game and about 50 minutes of NHL experience on his resume. Either way, my guess is that the Blue Jackets better be a high-scoring team in 2011-12 if they want to make the playoffs.
- Video: Johnny Hockey puts on a show in Flames win 0
- Video: Red Wings’ fans show support for Gordie Howe 0
- Burrows suspended three games for ‘late hit to the head’ on Emelin 11
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 7
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 12
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 13
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 4
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 38
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 37
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (46)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)