Sep 22, 2011, 5:04 PM EST
One night after the NHL released two videos explaining rules changes related to hits, Jody Shelley landed what many believe was a dirty one on Darryl Boyce Wednesday night. This isn’t exactly the first incident for the Flyers tough guy, either, as Shelley received two separate two-game suspensions for similar hits during the 2010-11 season.
It’s likely that the NHL is making a decision regarding suspending him today. They might even be in the process of preparing an announcement as of this writing.
In situations like these, players are often given the opportunity to speak with the league involving a controversial infraction. Shelley decided to waive his right for an in-person meeting, however, which has already generated speculation as far as how long his suspension might be.
Nick Kypreos reports that the suspension could be five games or more, while TSN’s Kevin Gibson speculates that maybe the penalty might be for three contests. Naturally, when CSNPhilly.com’s Tim Panaccio asked Shelley if he deserves a suspension, the Flyers tough guy said “No” although he admitted that he was nervous about the situation. (Danny Briere told Shelley that he should send new head disciplinarian Brendan Shanahan an “edible arrangement” to smooth things over, which sounds exactly like something Briere would say.)
As we await word of the punishment or lack thereof, how long do you think the suspension should be – if you think he should be suspended at all? (Click here if you need to see video footage of the hit.)
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 1
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 0
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 9
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 42
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 19
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 23
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 32
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 63
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 31
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 45