Sep 22, 2011, 5:04 PM EDT
One night after the NHL released two videos explaining rules changes related to hits, Jody Shelley landed what many believe was a dirty one on Darryl Boyce Wednesday night. This isn’t exactly the first incident for the Flyers tough guy, either, as Shelley received two separate two-game suspensions for similar hits during the 2010-11 season.
It’s likely that the NHL is making a decision regarding suspending him today. They might even be in the process of preparing an announcement as of this writing.
In situations like these, players are often given the opportunity to speak with the league involving a controversial infraction. Shelley decided to waive his right for an in-person meeting, however, which has already generated speculation as far as how long his suspension might be.
Nick Kypreos reports that the suspension could be five games or more, while TSN’s Kevin Gibson speculates that maybe the penalty might be for three contests. Naturally, when CSNPhilly.com’s Tim Panaccio asked Shelley if he deserves a suspension, the Flyers tough guy said “No” although he admitted that he was nervous about the situation. (Danny Briere told Shelley that he should send new head disciplinarian Brendan Shanahan an “edible arrangement” to smooth things over, which sounds exactly like something Briere would say.)
As we await word of the punishment or lack thereof, how long do you think the suspension should be – if you think he should be suspended at all? (Click here if you need to see video footage of the hit.)
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 20
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)