Sep 22, 2011, 5:04 PM EDT
One night after the NHL released two videos explaining rules changes related to hits, Jody Shelley landed what many believe was a dirty one on Darryl Boyce Wednesday night. This isn’t exactly the first incident for the Flyers tough guy, either, as Shelley received two separate two-game suspensions for similar hits during the 2010-11 season.
It’s likely that the NHL is making a decision regarding suspending him today. They might even be in the process of preparing an announcement as of this writing.
In situations like these, players are often given the opportunity to speak with the league involving a controversial infraction. Shelley decided to waive his right for an in-person meeting, however, which has already generated speculation as far as how long his suspension might be.
Nick Kypreos reports that the suspension could be five games or more, while TSN’s Kevin Gibson speculates that maybe the penalty might be for three contests. Naturally, when CSNPhilly.com’s Tim Panaccio asked Shelley if he deserves a suspension, the Flyers tough guy said “No” although he admitted that he was nervous about the situation. (Danny Briere told Shelley that he should send new head disciplinarian Brendan Shanahan an “edible arrangement” to smooth things over, which sounds exactly like something Briere would say.)
As we await word of the punishment or lack thereof, how long do you think the suspension should be – if you think he should be suspended at all? (Click here if you need to see video footage of the hit.)
- Tortorella takes blame for top players’ struggles 0
- Discuss: Bruins finish off Rangers in Game 5 27
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 68
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 7
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 11
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 33
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 16
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 74
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 6
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona