Sep 22, 2011, 5:04 PM EDT
One night after the NHL released two videos explaining rules changes related to hits, Jody Shelley landed what many believe was a dirty one on Darryl Boyce Wednesday night. This isn’t exactly the first incident for the Flyers tough guy, either, as Shelley received two separate two-game suspensions for similar hits during the 2010-11 season.
It’s likely that the NHL is making a decision regarding suspending him today. They might even be in the process of preparing an announcement as of this writing.
In situations like these, players are often given the opportunity to speak with the league involving a controversial infraction. Shelley decided to waive his right for an in-person meeting, however, which has already generated speculation as far as how long his suspension might be.
Nick Kypreos reports that the suspension could be five games or more, while TSN’s Kevin Gibson speculates that maybe the penalty might be for three contests. Naturally, when CSNPhilly.com’s Tim Panaccio asked Shelley if he deserves a suspension, the Flyers tough guy said “No” although he admitted that he was nervous about the situation. (Danny Briere told Shelley that he should send new head disciplinarian Brendan Shanahan an “edible arrangement” to smooth things over, which sounds exactly like something Briere would say.)
As we await word of the punishment or lack thereof, how long do you think the suspension should be – if you think he should be suspended at all? (Click here if you need to see video footage of the hit.)
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 0
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 11
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 18
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 13
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 7
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)