Sep 22, 2011, 12:00 PM EDT
Forgive us if this seems like a broken record, but a group including Jerry Reinsdorf is again be trumpeted as the possible next owners of the Phoenix Coyotes.
Naturally, the details are as fuzzy as usual, but the Arizona Republic did unravel a few useful tidbits. Here they are, in convenient and quick list form (for those of you who are getting more than a bit tired of this troubled scenario).
- The group reportedly also includes a returning party in “former Arizona lawmaker” John Kaites as well as interim Dallas Stars president Tony Tavares.
- As we discussed before, there might be a second group interested in buying the team, which is supposed to be headed by former San Jose Sharks CEO Greg Jamison.
- While both groups have been coy about the structure of their bids (potential or existing), Glendale representatives claim that bonds won’t be a part of either one. That’s a huge factor since the Goldwater Institute railroaded the use of bonds in the most recent close-call regarding the Coyotes’ sale.
- The time table on closing a deal isn’t clear either, although the city has a (perhaps excessively optimistic) goal of getting something done before the end of the year.
In some ways, it seems like all sides are treading water. That being said, it’s hard not to be a bit more optimistic about the Coyotes’ chances of sticking around just by the sheer determination the league has shown in keeping it in Glendale. The fact that the various losing parties have shown a willingness to take on another year’s worth of losses is an impressive thing, even if some might call it misguided.
Either way, we’ll continue to follow this story, even if it’s the NHL ownership version of Groundhog Day.
(H/T to Kukla’s Korner.)
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 0
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 10
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 64
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 7
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 48
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 39
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 15
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 98
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)