Sep 22, 2011, 12:00 PM EDT
Forgive us if this seems like a broken record, but a group including Jerry Reinsdorf is again be trumpeted as the possible next owners of the Phoenix Coyotes.
Naturally, the details are as fuzzy as usual, but the Arizona Republic did unravel a few useful tidbits. Here they are, in convenient and quick list form (for those of you who are getting more than a bit tired of this troubled scenario).
- The group reportedly also includes a returning party in “former Arizona lawmaker” John Kaites as well as interim Dallas Stars president Tony Tavares.
- As we discussed before, there might be a second group interested in buying the team, which is supposed to be headed by former San Jose Sharks CEO Greg Jamison.
- While both groups have been coy about the structure of their bids (potential or existing), Glendale representatives claim that bonds won’t be a part of either one. That’s a huge factor since the Goldwater Institute railroaded the use of bonds in the most recent close-call regarding the Coyotes’ sale.
- The time table on closing a deal isn’t clear either, although the city has a (perhaps excessively optimistic) goal of getting something done before the end of the year.
In some ways, it seems like all sides are treading water. That being said, it’s hard not to be a bit more optimistic about the Coyotes’ chances of sticking around just by the sheer determination the league has shown in keeping it in Glendale. The fact that the various losing parties have shown a willingness to take on another year’s worth of losses is an impressive thing, even if some might call it misguided.
Either way, we’ll continue to follow this story, even if it’s the NHL ownership version of Groundhog Day.
(H/T to Kukla’s Korner.)
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 23
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 24
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)