Sep 22, 2011, 12:00 PM EST
Forgive us if this seems like a broken record, but a group including Jerry Reinsdorf is again be trumpeted as the possible next owners of the Phoenix Coyotes.
Naturally, the details are as fuzzy as usual, but the Arizona Republic did unravel a few useful tidbits. Here they are, in convenient and quick list form (for those of you who are getting more than a bit tired of this troubled scenario).
- The group reportedly also includes a returning party in “former Arizona lawmaker” John Kaites as well as interim Dallas Stars president Tony Tavares.
- As we discussed before, there might be a second group interested in buying the team, which is supposed to be headed by former San Jose Sharks CEO Greg Jamison.
- While both groups have been coy about the structure of their bids (potential or existing), Glendale representatives claim that bonds won’t be a part of either one. That’s a huge factor since the Goldwater Institute railroaded the use of bonds in the most recent close-call regarding the Coyotes’ sale.
- The time table on closing a deal isn’t clear either, although the city has a (perhaps excessively optimistic) goal of getting something done before the end of the year.
In some ways, it seems like all sides are treading water. That being said, it’s hard not to be a bit more optimistic about the Coyotes’ chances of sticking around just by the sheer determination the league has shown in keeping it in Glendale. The fact that the various losing parties have shown a willingness to take on another year’s worth of losses is an impressive thing, even if some might call it misguided.
Either way, we’ll continue to follow this story, even if it’s the NHL ownership version of Groundhog Day.
(H/T to Kukla’s Korner.)
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 5
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 3
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 46
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 72
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 55
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 18
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (72)