Sep 22, 2011, 1:06 PM EDT
Either way, that deal makes him the odds-on favorite to be their No.1 goalie for the foreseeable future, but a different Finnish netminder might start during the team’s season opener. Joseph D’Hippolito of The Mercury News reports that Sharks head coach Todd McLellan admitted that Niemi might not be ready for the team’s regular season opener on Oct. 8.
Niemi had a cyst removed from “an undisclosed body part” sometime during the summer. Although he recently resumed skating, it’s not clear if he’ll be ready to return for action in time for that first game against the Phoenix Coyotes.
That could open the door for his backup (and fellow Finn) Antero Niittymaki – or even demoted Sharks backup Thomas Greiss – to play in the team’s first meaningful contest of 2011-12. Either way, the report indicates that the Sharks aren’t worried about Niemi’s big picture health, with McLellan claiming that Niemi is “feeling better every day.”
(Update: with Nittymaki also being injured, it sounds like Greiss might be the guy who benefits from at least a brief run at the top.)
Still, a setback could be a little troublesome for the Sharks, who seem primed for another push for that elusive run to the Stanley Cup finals. We’ll let you know if the team provides more information about Niemi’s progress in the next week or two.
(H/T to Rotoworld.)
- Your Lightning-Rangers Game 7 officials are… 0
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 27
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 11
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 44
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 7
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 6
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 1
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)