Sep 22, 2011, 1:06 PM EDT
Either way, that deal makes him the odds-on favorite to be their No.1 goalie for the foreseeable future, but a different Finnish netminder might start during the team’s season opener. Joseph D’Hippolito of The Mercury News reports that Sharks head coach Todd McLellan admitted that Niemi might not be ready for the team’s regular season opener on Oct. 8.
Niemi had a cyst removed from “an undisclosed body part” sometime during the summer. Although he recently resumed skating, it’s not clear if he’ll be ready to return for action in time for that first game against the Phoenix Coyotes.
That could open the door for his backup (and fellow Finn) Antero Niittymaki – or even demoted Sharks backup Thomas Greiss – to play in the team’s first meaningful contest of 2011-12. Either way, the report indicates that the Sharks aren’t worried about Niemi’s big picture health, with McLellan claiming that Niemi is “feeling better every day.”
(Update: with Nittymaki also being injured, it sounds like Greiss might be the guy who benefits from at least a brief run at the top.)
Still, a setback could be a little troublesome for the Sharks, who seem primed for another push for that elusive run to the Stanley Cup finals. We’ll let you know if the team provides more information about Niemi’s progress in the next week or two.
(H/T to Rotoworld.)
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 1
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 20
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 10
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 23
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 39
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 39
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)