Sep 22, 2011, 1:06 PM EST
Either way, that deal makes him the odds-on favorite to be their No.1 goalie for the foreseeable future, but a different Finnish netminder might start during the team’s season opener. Joseph D’Hippolito of The Mercury News reports that Sharks head coach Todd McLellan admitted that Niemi might not be ready for the team’s regular season opener on Oct. 8.
Niemi had a cyst removed from “an undisclosed body part” sometime during the summer. Although he recently resumed skating, it’s not clear if he’ll be ready to return for action in time for that first game against the Phoenix Coyotes.
That could open the door for his backup (and fellow Finn) Antero Niittymaki – or even demoted Sharks backup Thomas Greiss – to play in the team’s first meaningful contest of 2011-12. Either way, the report indicates that the Sharks aren’t worried about Niemi’s big picture health, with McLellan claiming that Niemi is “feeling better every day.”
(Update: with Nittymaki also being injured, it sounds like Greiss might be the guy who benefits from at least a brief run at the top.)
Still, a setback could be a little troublesome for the Sharks, who seem primed for another push for that elusive run to the Stanley Cup finals. We’ll let you know if the team provides more information about Niemi’s progress in the next week or two.
(H/T to Rotoworld.)
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 19
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)