Sep 21, 2011, 11:15 AM EDT
While there’s no denying the notion that Brad Richards was the biggest free agent fish this summer, catching him required a considerable risk. The New York Rangers decided to do what the Rangers tend to do: they threw caution to the wind with a big, risky deal for the 31-year-old center.
It’s understandable that Rangers fans enjoyed visions of Richards setting up Marian Gaborik dancing in their heads, but there’s quite a way to go before that on-paper dream can become a reality. Gaborik tends to be the guy who deals with a wonky groin, but the team might have a slight cause for concern after Richards missed another day’s worth of practice with that nagging injury.
Katie Strang reports that the injury is supposed to be a minor one, but as she mentioned, the Rangers are already dealing with issues to a key cog in top defenseman Marc Staal. Staal’s problems (post-concussion syndrome) are actually the thing that worried me the most about Richards going into this season, beyond concerns about his age and the fact that he’ll probably not have another contract to play for in his strong career.
Ultimately, the groin injury itself might not be a reason to worry, but it underscores the risky nature of giving any player such a lengthy deal – let alone a guy who’s already 31. On the bright side, the Rangers could buy Richards out if his health goes on a more serious decline since it isn’t a 35+ deal. It could become a new tradition after they did the same thing with another substantial veteran center investment in Chris Drury.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 20
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 23
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 8
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)