Sep 21, 2011, 8:30 PM EDT
The St. Louis Blues have been saying throughout the summer that they felt they could get a deal done to sell the franchise. Current owner Dave Checketts is looking to get out of the game and give the opportunity to buy the team to someone else.
One person who wanted to buy the Blues was Calgary businessman Max Chambers. Chambers is the CEO of Sonoma Equities and Great Northern Capital Partners and worth a bit of a money himself. Chambers had a hefty bid to put in for the Blues, but was told that it just wasn’t good enough.
Jeremy Rutherford of The St. Louis Dispatch has the story about how Chambers’ all cash bid just wasn’t up to snuff for Checketts and his company, SCP Worldwide. Chambers gives his take.
“The offer of $167 (million) was my maximum,” Chambers said. “We think that’s the most they’ve been offered. Obviously they haven’t been offered $190 because $190 was the figure to take it off the auction block. I don’t think anyone has over-topped our offer of $167.
“I think $190 is a little aggressive with the value of the franchise. We felt $167 was aggressive, so their counter at $190 was real aggressive in our view.”
Playing a game of chicken when it comes to buying a team is a fun way to negotiate but Chambers’ bid isn’t the only one out there for the team. A group that involves Hall of Famer Bryan Trottier is also out there for the Blues to examine a bid from. Whether or not they’re looking at paying the $190 million asking price remains to be seen.
Still, turning down an all cash bid like that either shows the Blues have a better offer elsewhere or they’re going to hold a hard line to get the money they’re looking for. If the Blues are looking to make their own deadline, let’s hope that it’s the former rather than the latter so the NHL can avoid having yet another ownership debacle to deal with.
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 30
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 14
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 10
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 54