Sep 19, 2011, 4:06 PM EDT
For a team that battled through three seven-game series in the four rounds of the 2011 playoffs, the Boston Bruins were a relatively healthy bunch after they hoisted the Stanley Cup. Sure, there were definitely moments here and there – Patrice Bergeron fought through another concussion, for one thing – but they seemed spry compared to their banged-up opponents in Vancouver.
That healthy, mostly intact roster justifies arguments that they might be primed for a strong title defense in 2011-12, but a huge amount of their success hinges on Zdeno Chara. The dominant blueliner plays minutes that are almost in proportion to his gargantuan stature, so seeing him leave the ice early is a cause for concern.
That’s exactly what happened today, as Chara suffered a leg contusion during a Bruins scrimmage after a shot hit the inside of his left leg.
“Right now it’s a contusion and we’ll evaluate as we go along here,” Bruins coach Claude Julien said. “This is training camp and if he needs an extra day here, we’ll give him an extra day. If not, then he’ll be back on the ice tomorrow.”
If Julien’s comment is any indication, it might not be a serious injury. We’ll keep an eye out for updates about his status either way, though.
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 3
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 10
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 26
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 44
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 104
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 12
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 21
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 37
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (104)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)