Sep 16, 2011, 10:55 AM EDT
We’ve all been tracking Sidney Crosby‘s recovery from the concussion he suffered back in January with an almost obsessive nature. Seeing the game’s biggest player get back on the ice to perform at the highest level is something everyone should hope to see. As players headed to their team’s respective training camps today and tomorrow, that also means it’s time for physicals. According to Josh Yohe of The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, Crosby was cleared to practice with the Penguins without contact.
Crosby’s progress in coming back from the concussion(s) suffered in January thanks to a collision with David Steckel and a hit from Victor Hedman in separate games has been closely monitored and very carefully measured. When Crosby spoke with the media recently, he said there was no way he was going to be retiring from hockey despite the extreme care taken to make sure he can come back and that he can’t wait to get back out there. Now he’ll get to do just that.
Being able to practice without contact is pretty self explanatory but it also means he gets to do all the drills and workout with the team at full speed, he’s just not going to be going absolutely full blast the same way everyone else would be. It’s a small step in his recovery but a big moment just the same as the Penguins and their fans look forward to getting Crosby back on the ice.
The key part now is how Crosby’s health responds to taking this next step. If there are any setbacks, that will again slow the process down and make sure that Crosby is reevaluated. With how far along he is now, everyone is hopeful that won’t happen.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)