Sep 15, 2011, 3:45 PM EDT
The “Finnish Flash” will ride again one more time.
“Hi guys. You guys knew I can’t stop playing yet. So I’m back at least one more season. My middle name is ‘One More.’ And we start the season in Helsinki so I’ll see you there.”
Teemu “One Year” Selanne… That’s got a good ring to it.
Helene Elliott of The L.A. Times reports that Selanne signed a one-year deal with Anaheim for $4 million. Selanne returns to play for a Ducks team that can more than use his offense to balance out the team. While the Ducks’ top line of Bobby Ryan, Corey Perry, and Ryan Getzlaf is one of the best in the league. Selanne on the second line with fellow Finn Saku Koivu and Jason Blake gives Anaheim a second line worth worrying about.
While Blake and Koivu aren’t as good as they used to be, Selanne last season had a year for the ages scoring 31 goals and adding 49 assists. Getting 80 points from a 40 year-old is unbelievable but it was Selanne’s health that made it all possible as he played in 73 games last season. After three straight seasons of missing at least 25 games per year, being healthy showed that he can still bring it. After having knee surgery this offseason, we’ll see if Selanne’s health can hold up over what could ultimately be his final one in the NHL.
As if you needed more of a reason to be excited over the return of the NHL’s leading active goal scorer (637 goals) put a big circle around December 17th. That night the Ducks visit Winnipeg to take on the Jets. It’ll be Selanne’s first and last appearance in his original NHL hometown this season and a night that should be an emotional return for Selanne. It was in Winnipeg that Selanne broke the all-time rookie goal scoring record netting 76 goals in his first year back in 1992-1993.
Here’s to hoping Selanne can go out riding high and perhaps give us another reason to ask him to live up to his “middle name” next summer.
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 4
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 6
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 28
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)