Sep 15, 2011, 3:45 PM EDT
The “Finnish Flash” will ride again one more time.
“Hi guys. You guys knew I can’t stop playing yet. So I’m back at least one more season. My middle name is ‘One More.’ And we start the season in Helsinki so I’ll see you there.”
Teemu “One Year” Selanne… That’s got a good ring to it.
Helene Elliott of The L.A. Times reports that Selanne signed a one-year deal with Anaheim for $4 million. Selanne returns to play for a Ducks team that can more than use his offense to balance out the team. While the Ducks’ top line of Bobby Ryan, Corey Perry, and Ryan Getzlaf is one of the best in the league. Selanne on the second line with fellow Finn Saku Koivu and Jason Blake gives Anaheim a second line worth worrying about.
While Blake and Koivu aren’t as good as they used to be, Selanne last season had a year for the ages scoring 31 goals and adding 49 assists. Getting 80 points from a 40 year-old is unbelievable but it was Selanne’s health that made it all possible as he played in 73 games last season. After three straight seasons of missing at least 25 games per year, being healthy showed that he can still bring it. After having knee surgery this offseason, we’ll see if Selanne’s health can hold up over what could ultimately be his final one in the NHL.
As if you needed more of a reason to be excited over the return of the NHL’s leading active goal scorer (637 goals) put a big circle around December 17th. That night the Ducks visit Winnipeg to take on the Jets. It’ll be Selanne’s first and last appearance in his original NHL hometown this season and a night that should be an emotional return for Selanne. It was in Winnipeg that Selanne broke the all-time rookie goal scoring record netting 76 goals in his first year back in 1992-1993.
Here’s to hoping Selanne can go out riding high and perhaps give us another reason to ask him to live up to his “middle name” next summer.
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 10
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)