Sep 12, 2011, 9:09 PM EDT
In case you’d forgotten, Byfuglien was arrested for suspicion of BWI (boating while intoxicated) after refusing to take a blood or urine test last week. According to a report out of the Winnipeg Sun, Byfuglien will face charges surrounding his arrest.
“A complaint has been approved but it’s not been filed yet to our knowledge,” said Steve Tallen, a Lake Minnetonka Conservation District attorney.
As for the kind of trouble Byfuglien could face if he’s convicted, the Minnesota boating laws show that a BWI conviction means he could face a $1,000 fine, possible jail time, or lose his boating privileges for 90 days (PDF Link here). If he’s convicted, he could also run into problems being able to go to and from Canada and the United States. Given that he’s from Roseau, Minnesota and will be playing in Winnipeg, Manitoba that development would be a worst-case scenario for both him and the Jets.
We suspect that things won’t go that far in his case, but then again, you never know how things will play out in court either. Let’s hope Byfuglien has learned his lesson.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 15
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 26
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)