Sep 12, 2011, 9:09 PM EST
In case you’d forgotten, Byfuglien was arrested for suspicion of BWI (boating while intoxicated) after refusing to take a blood or urine test last week. According to a report out of the Winnipeg Sun, Byfuglien will face charges surrounding his arrest.
“A complaint has been approved but it’s not been filed yet to our knowledge,” said Steve Tallen, a Lake Minnetonka Conservation District attorney.
As for the kind of trouble Byfuglien could face if he’s convicted, the Minnesota boating laws show that a BWI conviction means he could face a $1,000 fine, possible jail time, or lose his boating privileges for 90 days (PDF Link here). If he’s convicted, he could also run into problems being able to go to and from Canada and the United States. Given that he’s from Roseau, Minnesota and will be playing in Winnipeg, Manitoba that development would be a worst-case scenario for both him and the Jets.
We suspect that things won’t go that far in his case, but then again, you never know how things will play out in court either. Let’s hope Byfuglien has learned his lesson.
- Wounded Wing: Howard (MCL sprain) out 2-4 weeks 1
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 45
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 27
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 46
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 22
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 85
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)