Sep 12, 2011, 9:09 PM EDT
In case you’d forgotten, Byfuglien was arrested for suspicion of BWI (boating while intoxicated) after refusing to take a blood or urine test last week. According to a report out of the Winnipeg Sun, Byfuglien will face charges surrounding his arrest.
“A complaint has been approved but it’s not been filed yet to our knowledge,” said Steve Tallen, a Lake Minnetonka Conservation District attorney.
As for the kind of trouble Byfuglien could face if he’s convicted, the Minnesota boating laws show that a BWI conviction means he could face a $1,000 fine, possible jail time, or lose his boating privileges for 90 days (PDF Link here). If he’s convicted, he could also run into problems being able to go to and from Canada and the United States. Given that he’s from Roseau, Minnesota and will be playing in Winnipeg, Manitoba that development would be a worst-case scenario for both him and the Jets.
We suspect that things won’t go that far in his case, but then again, you never know how things will play out in court either. Let’s hope Byfuglien has learned his lesson.
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 4
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 9
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 8
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 3
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 15
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 25
- Discuss: Bruins find scoring touch in Game 2 win over Rangers 45
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 5
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 64
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (94)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- PBT: Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- HBT: Cabrera rips three homers, passes Greenberg
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Ferguson's managerial career ends with 5-5 draw