Sep 12, 2011, 9:31 PM EST
How’s this for awkward timing: Patrick Sharp will be out of action for the start of training camp. No, it’s not because of a workout gone wrong or tweaking something while on the ice, but rather something a bit more internal. Sharp underwent an emergency appendectomy tonight and will be in danger of perhaps missing the team’s season opener.
Blackhawks team doctor, Dr. Michael Terry, had this to say this evening.
“Patrick Sharp underwent an emergent surgical appendectomy this evening after experiencing some abnormal abdominal discomfort. The surgery was successful and I anticipate a full recovery in approximately three to four weeks.”
Three to four weeks would essentially wipe out Sharp for all of training camp and should he see things out the full four weeks, he could miss the Blackhawks first games of the season, a home and home series with Dallas on October 7 and 8. Sharp just signed a long-term contract extension this summer to stick with Chicago for the next five years at nearly $30 million.
Missing out on training camp hurts but making sure Sharp can get back on the ice and at full speed is more important, they may just have to deal with seeing Sharp being a bit rusty when he does get back on the ice. Sharp now joins Patrick Kane on the shelf at the start of training camp as Kane is coming back from wrist surgery earlier this summer. With their absences at the start of camp, it presents a great opportunity for some of Chicago’s younger players to show what they’ve got to coach Joel Quenneville.
While Sharp and Kane are guaranteed spots on the team when they’re healthy, getting to leave a lasting impression on the coach to be one of the first guys called up when injury strikes is what they’ll be aiming for.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 40
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 117
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (117)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)