Sep 12, 2011, 9:31 PM EST
How’s this for awkward timing: Patrick Sharp will be out of action for the start of training camp. No, it’s not because of a workout gone wrong or tweaking something while on the ice, but rather something a bit more internal. Sharp underwent an emergency appendectomy tonight and will be in danger of perhaps missing the team’s season opener.
Blackhawks team doctor, Dr. Michael Terry, had this to say this evening.
“Patrick Sharp underwent an emergent surgical appendectomy this evening after experiencing some abnormal abdominal discomfort. The surgery was successful and I anticipate a full recovery in approximately three to four weeks.”
Three to four weeks would essentially wipe out Sharp for all of training camp and should he see things out the full four weeks, he could miss the Blackhawks first games of the season, a home and home series with Dallas on October 7 and 8. Sharp just signed a long-term contract extension this summer to stick with Chicago for the next five years at nearly $30 million.
Missing out on training camp hurts but making sure Sharp can get back on the ice and at full speed is more important, they may just have to deal with seeing Sharp being a bit rusty when he does get back on the ice. Sharp now joins Patrick Kane on the shelf at the start of training camp as Kane is coming back from wrist surgery earlier this summer. With their absences at the start of camp, it presents a great opportunity for some of Chicago’s younger players to show what they’ve got to coach Joel Quenneville.
While Sharp and Kane are guaranteed spots on the team when they’re healthy, getting to leave a lasting impression on the coach to be one of the first guys called up when injury strikes is what they’ll be aiming for.
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 0
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 2
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 50
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (50)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)