Sep 12, 2011, 9:31 PM EDT
How’s this for awkward timing: Patrick Sharp will be out of action for the start of training camp. No, it’s not because of a workout gone wrong or tweaking something while on the ice, but rather something a bit more internal. Sharp underwent an emergency appendectomy tonight and will be in danger of perhaps missing the team’s season opener.
Blackhawks team doctor, Dr. Michael Terry, had this to say this evening.
“Patrick Sharp underwent an emergent surgical appendectomy this evening after experiencing some abnormal abdominal discomfort. The surgery was successful and I anticipate a full recovery in approximately three to four weeks.”
Three to four weeks would essentially wipe out Sharp for all of training camp and should he see things out the full four weeks, he could miss the Blackhawks first games of the season, a home and home series with Dallas on October 7 and 8. Sharp just signed a long-term contract extension this summer to stick with Chicago for the next five years at nearly $30 million.
Missing out on training camp hurts but making sure Sharp can get back on the ice and at full speed is more important, they may just have to deal with seeing Sharp being a bit rusty when he does get back on the ice. Sharp now joins Patrick Kane on the shelf at the start of training camp as Kane is coming back from wrist surgery earlier this summer. With their absences at the start of camp, it presents a great opportunity for some of Chicago’s younger players to show what they’ve got to coach Joel Quenneville.
While Sharp and Kane are guaranteed spots on the team when they’re healthy, getting to leave a lasting impression on the coach to be one of the first guys called up when injury strikes is what they’ll be aiming for.
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 5
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 20
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 78
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 35
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)