Sep 12, 2011, 9:31 PM EDT
How’s this for awkward timing: Patrick Sharp will be out of action for the start of training camp. No, it’s not because of a workout gone wrong or tweaking something while on the ice, but rather something a bit more internal. Sharp underwent an emergency appendectomy tonight and will be in danger of perhaps missing the team’s season opener.
Blackhawks team doctor, Dr. Michael Terry, had this to say this evening.
“Patrick Sharp underwent an emergent surgical appendectomy this evening after experiencing some abnormal abdominal discomfort. The surgery was successful and I anticipate a full recovery in approximately three to four weeks.”
Three to four weeks would essentially wipe out Sharp for all of training camp and should he see things out the full four weeks, he could miss the Blackhawks first games of the season, a home and home series with Dallas on October 7 and 8. Sharp just signed a long-term contract extension this summer to stick with Chicago for the next five years at nearly $30 million.
Missing out on training camp hurts but making sure Sharp can get back on the ice and at full speed is more important, they may just have to deal with seeing Sharp being a bit rusty when he does get back on the ice. Sharp now joins Patrick Kane on the shelf at the start of training camp as Kane is coming back from wrist surgery earlier this summer. With their absences at the start of camp, it presents a great opportunity for some of Chicago’s younger players to show what they’ve got to coach Joel Quenneville.
While Sharp and Kane are guaranteed spots on the team when they’re healthy, getting to leave a lasting impression on the coach to be one of the first guys called up when injury strikes is what they’ll be aiming for.
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 20
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 13
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 8
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 37
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 24
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)