Sep 12, 2011, 8:07 PM EST
Training camp opens up at the end of the week and the New Jersey Devils are offering up tryouts to a few NHL veterans and youngsters including one who made a name for himself in New Jersey in the 90s. The Devils are offering tryouts to five players and the lead name there is Petr Sykora.
Sykora spent last season playing for HC Plzen in the Czech league as well as Dynamo Minsk in the KHL but got his start in the NHL back in 1995 with the Devils. Sykora spent seven seasons in New Jersey and helped the Devils win the Stanley Cup in 2000 playing on the same line with Jason Arnott and Patrik Elias. Sykora has played 14 seasons in all in the NHL and won a second Stanley Cup with the Penguins in 2009.
Through his career, Sykora has been a consistent 20-25 goal scorer but his final season in Minnesota saw him struggle to get ice time when he could play and was knocked out for most of the 2009-2010 season with a concussion. In Europe last season, Sykora scored 13 points in 13 games with HC Plzen and had 16 points in 28 games with Minsk. What he could contribute at the NHL level remains to be seen in Devils camp.
The Devils also offered tryouts to former Blue Jackets defenseman Anton Stralman, former Panthers and Canucks forward Steve Bernier, and to minor leaguers Thomas Nesbitt and Justin Barnett. Stralman is more of an offensive defenseman and isn’t exactly a physical force on the ice while Bernier is more of a defensive forward than a scorer these days. Bernier could fit in to the Devils system while it would be stunning to see Stralman able to land a job in New Jersey.
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 0
- Devils fire DeBoer 15
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 2
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 16
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 9
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)