Sep 10, 2011, 8:44 PM EDT
Training camp for the Winnipeg Jets gets under way next Saturday and there’s still one big bit of business they’ve yet to complete. Restricted free agent Zach Bogosian is still unsigned and when camp starts on September 17 and he’s not signed by then, he’s going to miss out on joining the team to start camp.
How close is Bogosian to getting signed? According to his agent, not very close at all.
The Winnipeg Free Press caught up with Bogosian’s agent, Bob Murray (not the Ducks GM), and found out that while he’s still in touch and talking with Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff, there’s no deal imminent.
Bogosian’s agent, Bob Murray of Boston, told the Free Press Friday that his discussions are continuing with Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff, but there is nothing else to report.
Cheveldayoff also said Friday there wasn’t much to report.
“Things are pretty much status quo,” the GM said. “There are conversations as we go. Time will play itself out.”
If the Jets want to get Bogosian into camp on time, they’re going to have to find a way to compromise with him and get things figured out. While Bogosian ended up being a restricted free agent the same summer as fellow young defensemen Shea Weber, Drew Doughty, and Luke Schenn, his contract demands shouldn’t be anywhere in the same league as what Weber won in arbitration nor what Doughty is reportedly turning down in Los Angeles.
Schenn and Bogosian are more of the same ilk in that they’re banking more on glimpses of greatness they’ve shown already and hoping that they’ll blossom into premier defensemen in the coming seasons. Finding the right way to compromise financially there is the hard part for both sides. The team wants to keep it reasonable while the player sees what his contemporaries are being paid and wants a piece of that pie.
With a week left to play with, there’s time get things done but now it’s crunch time if the team and player want to avoid hard feelings.
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 4
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 27
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 18
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 60
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (60)