Sep 10, 2011, 8:44 PM EDT
Training camp for the Winnipeg Jets gets under way next Saturday and there’s still one big bit of business they’ve yet to complete. Restricted free agent Zach Bogosian is still unsigned and when camp starts on September 17 and he’s not signed by then, he’s going to miss out on joining the team to start camp.
How close is Bogosian to getting signed? According to his agent, not very close at all.
The Winnipeg Free Press caught up with Bogosian’s agent, Bob Murray (not the Ducks GM), and found out that while he’s still in touch and talking with Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff, there’s no deal imminent.
Bogosian’s agent, Bob Murray of Boston, told the Free Press Friday that his discussions are continuing with Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff, but there is nothing else to report.
Cheveldayoff also said Friday there wasn’t much to report.
“Things are pretty much status quo,” the GM said. “There are conversations as we go. Time will play itself out.”
If the Jets want to get Bogosian into camp on time, they’re going to have to find a way to compromise with him and get things figured out. While Bogosian ended up being a restricted free agent the same summer as fellow young defensemen Shea Weber, Drew Doughty, and Luke Schenn, his contract demands shouldn’t be anywhere in the same league as what Weber won in arbitration nor what Doughty is reportedly turning down in Los Angeles.
Schenn and Bogosian are more of the same ilk in that they’re banking more on glimpses of greatness they’ve shown already and hoping that they’ll blossom into premier defensemen in the coming seasons. Finding the right way to compromise financially there is the hard part for both sides. The team wants to keep it reasonable while the player sees what his contemporaries are being paid and wants a piece of that pie.
With a week left to play with, there’s time get things done but now it’s crunch time if the team and player want to avoid hard feelings.
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 22
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 46
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 78
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 9
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 11
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Discuss: Bruins smother ‘Hawks, take 2-1 series lead 92
- Marian Hossa won’t play in Game 3 11
- Report: Flyers, Streit agree to four-year, $21 million deal 39
- Heat force Game 7
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL