Sep 10, 2011, 8:44 PM EDT
Training camp for the Winnipeg Jets gets under way next Saturday and there’s still one big bit of business they’ve yet to complete. Restricted free agent Zach Bogosian is still unsigned and when camp starts on September 17 and he’s not signed by then, he’s going to miss out on joining the team to start camp.
How close is Bogosian to getting signed? According to his agent, not very close at all.
The Winnipeg Free Press caught up with Bogosian’s agent, Bob Murray (not the Ducks GM), and found out that while he’s still in touch and talking with Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff, there’s no deal imminent.
Bogosian’s agent, Bob Murray of Boston, told the Free Press Friday that his discussions are continuing with Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff, but there is nothing else to report.
Cheveldayoff also said Friday there wasn’t much to report.
“Things are pretty much status quo,” the GM said. “There are conversations as we go. Time will play itself out.”
If the Jets want to get Bogosian into camp on time, they’re going to have to find a way to compromise with him and get things figured out. While Bogosian ended up being a restricted free agent the same summer as fellow young defensemen Shea Weber, Drew Doughty, and Luke Schenn, his contract demands shouldn’t be anywhere in the same league as what Weber won in arbitration nor what Doughty is reportedly turning down in Los Angeles.
Schenn and Bogosian are more of the same ilk in that they’re banking more on glimpses of greatness they’ve shown already and hoping that they’ll blossom into premier defensemen in the coming seasons. Finding the right way to compromise financially there is the hard part for both sides. The team wants to keep it reasonable while the player sees what his contemporaries are being paid and wants a piece of that pie.
With a week left to play with, there’s time get things done but now it’s crunch time if the team and player want to avoid hard feelings.
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 2
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 11
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 29
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 26
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)