Sep 9, 2011, 11:37 AM EDT
After the Panthers’ wild spending spree this summer, they can finally say they’ve taken care of everyone. Florida inked restricted free agent Shawn Matthias to a two-year contract. While Matthias was hoping he’d get a one-way deal no matter what, the first year of the contract will be a two-way deal while the second year is a one-way.
Matthias was seeking that financial security because with all the additions the Panthers made this offseason, the chances he could be sent to the AHL are stronger than usual. A two-way contract means that he gets paid a different salary when in the AHL as opposed to getting his NHL salary regardless of where he is. Matthias is going to need to step things up in order to avoid demotion.
Last season, Matthias played in 51 games and recorded six goals and ten assists. With a host of new talent coming to south Florida this season, that kind of production may not cut it. Matthias is naturally a center and with Stephen Weiss, Steve Reinprecht, Mike Santorelli, Tomas Fleischmann, and Marcel Goc all there and all capable of playing center, Matthias is going to have to prove himself there or find a way to excel on the wings.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 20
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 26
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)