Sep 9, 2011, 11:37 AM EST
After the Panthers’ wild spending spree this summer, they can finally say they’ve taken care of everyone. Florida inked restricted free agent Shawn Matthias to a two-year contract. While Matthias was hoping he’d get a one-way deal no matter what, the first year of the contract will be a two-way deal while the second year is a one-way.
Matthias was seeking that financial security because with all the additions the Panthers made this offseason, the chances he could be sent to the AHL are stronger than usual. A two-way contract means that he gets paid a different salary when in the AHL as opposed to getting his NHL salary regardless of where he is. Matthias is going to need to step things up in order to avoid demotion.
Last season, Matthias played in 51 games and recorded six goals and ten assists. With a host of new talent coming to south Florida this season, that kind of production may not cut it. Matthias is naturally a center and with Stephen Weiss, Steve Reinprecht, Mike Santorelli, Tomas Fleischmann, and Marcel Goc all there and all capable of playing center, Matthias is going to have to prove himself there or find a way to excel on the wings.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 7
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 13
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 23
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 22
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)