Sep 9, 2011, 11:37 AM EDT
After the Panthers’ wild spending spree this summer, they can finally say they’ve taken care of everyone. Florida inked restricted free agent Shawn Matthias to a two-year contract. While Matthias was hoping he’d get a one-way deal no matter what, the first year of the contract will be a two-way deal while the second year is a one-way.
Matthias was seeking that financial security because with all the additions the Panthers made this offseason, the chances he could be sent to the AHL are stronger than usual. A two-way contract means that he gets paid a different salary when in the AHL as opposed to getting his NHL salary regardless of where he is. Matthias is going to need to step things up in order to avoid demotion.
Last season, Matthias played in 51 games and recorded six goals and ten assists. With a host of new talent coming to south Florida this season, that kind of production may not cut it. Matthias is naturally a center and with Stephen Weiss, Steve Reinprecht, Mike Santorelli, Tomas Fleischmann, and Marcel Goc all there and all capable of playing center, Matthias is going to have to prove himself there or find a way to excel on the wings.
- Video: Tavares, Islanders take 2-1 series lead with OT win 15
- Watch Live: Predators at Blackhawks 0
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 3
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 5
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 13
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 76
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 67
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 166
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 18
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (166)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (80)