Sep 9, 2011, 11:37 AM EST
After the Panthers’ wild spending spree this summer, they can finally say they’ve taken care of everyone. Florida inked restricted free agent Shawn Matthias to a two-year contract. While Matthias was hoping he’d get a one-way deal no matter what, the first year of the contract will be a two-way deal while the second year is a one-way.
Matthias was seeking that financial security because with all the additions the Panthers made this offseason, the chances he could be sent to the AHL are stronger than usual. A two-way contract means that he gets paid a different salary when in the AHL as opposed to getting his NHL salary regardless of where he is. Matthias is going to need to step things up in order to avoid demotion.
Last season, Matthias played in 51 games and recorded six goals and ten assists. With a host of new talent coming to south Florida this season, that kind of production may not cut it. Matthias is naturally a center and with Stephen Weiss, Steve Reinprecht, Mike Santorelli, Tomas Fleischmann, and Marcel Goc all there and all capable of playing center, Matthias is going to have to prove himself there or find a way to excel on the wings.
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 19
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (63)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)