Sep 9, 2011, 5:05 PM EDT
When you think of brothers playing hockey together, the last names that come up are either “Howe” or “Sedin” but you might have to add “Toews” to that list some day.
The Chicago Blackhawks acquired captain Jonathan Toews younger brother David Toews in a trade with the New York Islanders for future considerations. Just like his big brother, David spent two years at the University of North Dakota. Instead of jumping to the pros after two years with the Fighting Sioux, David headed off to the WHL and played for the Brandon Wheat Kings last year where he had 20 goals and 28 assists.
David was a third round pick of the New York Islanders back in 2008 and while he hasn’t played a year of professional hockey as of yet, this will be his first season in the AHL. Now he’ll get to take part in the same camp as his big brother and potentially get a shot at playing alongside him in the future. Toews will most likely play in Rockford in the AHL this year. CSNChicago.com’s Tracey Myers notes that David will be taking part in the Oshawa Rookie Tournament in Ontario with the Blackhawks this weekend.
Jonathan Toews isn’t the only Blackhawk player with a brother playing hockey in the minor leagues as Brent Seabrook has his younger brother Keith Seabrook playing in the Florida Panthers’ system.
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 3
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 23
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 38
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)