Sep 9, 2011, 5:05 PM EDT
When you think of brothers playing hockey together, the last names that come up are either “Howe” or “Sedin” but you might have to add “Toews” to that list some day.
The Chicago Blackhawks acquired captain Jonathan Toews younger brother David Toews in a trade with the New York Islanders for future considerations. Just like his big brother, David spent two years at the University of North Dakota. Instead of jumping to the pros after two years with the Fighting Sioux, David headed off to the WHL and played for the Brandon Wheat Kings last year where he had 20 goals and 28 assists.
David was a third round pick of the New York Islanders back in 2008 and while he hasn’t played a year of professional hockey as of yet, this will be his first season in the AHL. Now he’ll get to take part in the same camp as his big brother and potentially get a shot at playing alongside him in the future. Toews will most likely play in Rockford in the AHL this year. CSNChicago.com’s Tracey Myers notes that David will be taking part in the Oshawa Rookie Tournament in Ontario with the Blackhawks this weekend.
Jonathan Toews isn’t the only Blackhawk player with a brother playing hockey in the minor leagues as Brent Seabrook has his younger brother Keith Seabrook playing in the Florida Panthers’ system.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)