Sep 9, 2011, 5:05 PM EDT
When you think of brothers playing hockey together, the last names that come up are either “Howe” or “Sedin” but you might have to add “Toews” to that list some day.
The Chicago Blackhawks acquired captain Jonathan Toews younger brother David Toews in a trade with the New York Islanders for future considerations. Just like his big brother, David spent two years at the University of North Dakota. Instead of jumping to the pros after two years with the Fighting Sioux, David headed off to the WHL and played for the Brandon Wheat Kings last year where he had 20 goals and 28 assists.
David was a third round pick of the New York Islanders back in 2008 and while he hasn’t played a year of professional hockey as of yet, this will be his first season in the AHL. Now he’ll get to take part in the same camp as his big brother and potentially get a shot at playing alongside him in the future. Toews will most likely play in Rockford in the AHL this year. CSNChicago.com’s Tracey Myers notes that David will be taking part in the Oshawa Rookie Tournament in Ontario with the Blackhawks this weekend.
Jonathan Toews isn’t the only Blackhawk player with a brother playing hockey in the minor leagues as Brent Seabrook has his younger brother Keith Seabrook playing in the Florida Panthers’ system.
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 18
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 11
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 41
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 7
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 6
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 1
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)