Sep 9, 2011, 5:05 PM EDT
When you think of brothers playing hockey together, the last names that come up are either “Howe” or “Sedin” but you might have to add “Toews” to that list some day.
The Chicago Blackhawks acquired captain Jonathan Toews younger brother David Toews in a trade with the New York Islanders for future considerations. Just like his big brother, David spent two years at the University of North Dakota. Instead of jumping to the pros after two years with the Fighting Sioux, David headed off to the WHL and played for the Brandon Wheat Kings last year where he had 20 goals and 28 assists.
David was a third round pick of the New York Islanders back in 2008 and while he hasn’t played a year of professional hockey as of yet, this will be his first season in the AHL. Now he’ll get to take part in the same camp as his big brother and potentially get a shot at playing alongside him in the future. Toews will most likely play in Rockford in the AHL this year. CSNChicago.com’s Tracey Myers notes that David will be taking part in the Oshawa Rookie Tournament in Ontario with the Blackhawks this weekend.
Jonathan Toews isn’t the only Blackhawk player with a brother playing hockey in the minor leagues as Brent Seabrook has his younger brother Keith Seabrook playing in the Florida Panthers’ system.
- WATCH LIVE: Tampa Bay Lightning at Montreal Canadiens (Game 3) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 23
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 50
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 82
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 23
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 40
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (136)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes (82)