Sep 9, 2011, 4:35 PM EST
After a season filled with injury troubles, Colorado Avalanche defenseman Kyle Cumiskey is back in the fold in Denver. Cumiskey, a restricted free agent, signed a one-year deal with the Avalanche to rejoin the team and hope to provide stability to their back line.
Cumiskey played in just 18 games last season scoring one goal and adding seven assists. Cumiskey is an offensively capable defenseman and a guy that could help give Erik Johnson support on the power play as well. Two seasons ago, Cumiskey showed what he’s capable of in 61 games when he scored seven goals and added 20 assists. If Cumiskey can stay healthy, he’ll be able to help the Avalanche generate more offense as he’s a decent puck carrier with a good shot.
Health, however, is the major problem for him and is a serious concern heading into this season for the Avalanche defense in general. Last season, the Avalanche suited up 16 different defensemen throughout the year. Colorado dealt with season-long injuries to Cumiskey and Kyle Quincey while dealing with nagging injuries to Adam Foote. With Foote retired, Cumiskey and Quincey healthy, and the additions of Shane O’Brien and Jan Hejda the Avs hope that their weak defense is a thing of the past.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 2
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 16
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 81
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (81)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)