Sep 9, 2011, 4:35 PM EST
After a season filled with injury troubles, Colorado Avalanche defenseman Kyle Cumiskey is back in the fold in Denver. Cumiskey, a restricted free agent, signed a one-year deal with the Avalanche to rejoin the team and hope to provide stability to their back line.
Cumiskey played in just 18 games last season scoring one goal and adding seven assists. Cumiskey is an offensively capable defenseman and a guy that could help give Erik Johnson support on the power play as well. Two seasons ago, Cumiskey showed what he’s capable of in 61 games when he scored seven goals and added 20 assists. If Cumiskey can stay healthy, he’ll be able to help the Avalanche generate more offense as he’s a decent puck carrier with a good shot.
Health, however, is the major problem for him and is a serious concern heading into this season for the Avalanche defense in general. Last season, the Avalanche suited up 16 different defensemen throughout the year. Colorado dealt with season-long injuries to Cumiskey and Kyle Quincey while dealing with nagging injuries to Adam Foote. With Foote retired, Cumiskey and Quincey healthy, and the additions of Shane O’Brien and Jan Hejda the Avs hope that their weak defense is a thing of the past.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 148
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 97
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 117
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (180)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (148)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (127)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (117)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (97)