Sep 9, 2011, 4:35 PM EDT
After a season filled with injury troubles, Colorado Avalanche defenseman Kyle Cumiskey is back in the fold in Denver. Cumiskey, a restricted free agent, signed a one-year deal with the Avalanche to rejoin the team and hope to provide stability to their back line.
Cumiskey played in just 18 games last season scoring one goal and adding seven assists. Cumiskey is an offensively capable defenseman and a guy that could help give Erik Johnson support on the power play as well. Two seasons ago, Cumiskey showed what he’s capable of in 61 games when he scored seven goals and added 20 assists. If Cumiskey can stay healthy, he’ll be able to help the Avalanche generate more offense as he’s a decent puck carrier with a good shot.
Health, however, is the major problem for him and is a serious concern heading into this season for the Avalanche defense in general. Last season, the Avalanche suited up 16 different defensemen throughout the year. Colorado dealt with season-long injuries to Cumiskey and Kyle Quincey while dealing with nagging injuries to Adam Foote. With Foote retired, Cumiskey and Quincey healthy, and the additions of Shane O’Brien and Jan Hejda the Avs hope that their weak defense is a thing of the past.
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 3
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 13
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 19
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 23
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 22
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 52
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 22
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 21
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (52)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)