Sep 9, 2011, 4:35 PM EST
After a season filled with injury troubles, Colorado Avalanche defenseman Kyle Cumiskey is back in the fold in Denver. Cumiskey, a restricted free agent, signed a one-year deal with the Avalanche to rejoin the team and hope to provide stability to their back line.
Cumiskey played in just 18 games last season scoring one goal and adding seven assists. Cumiskey is an offensively capable defenseman and a guy that could help give Erik Johnson support on the power play as well. Two seasons ago, Cumiskey showed what he’s capable of in 61 games when he scored seven goals and added 20 assists. If Cumiskey can stay healthy, he’ll be able to help the Avalanche generate more offense as he’s a decent puck carrier with a good shot.
Health, however, is the major problem for him and is a serious concern heading into this season for the Avalanche defense in general. Last season, the Avalanche suited up 16 different defensemen throughout the year. Colorado dealt with season-long injuries to Cumiskey and Kyle Quincey while dealing with nagging injuries to Adam Foote. With Foote retired, Cumiskey and Quincey healthy, and the additions of Shane O’Brien and Jan Hejda the Avs hope that their weak defense is a thing of the past.
- PHT Morning Skate: Saying goodbye to Martin Brodeur (plus a brutal Sidney Crosby typo) 1
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 49
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 14
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 127
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (127)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (57)