Sep 8, 2011, 7:30 AM EDT
It’s difficult to find the right words in trying to describe what happened on Wednesday surrounding the events in Russia. The plane crash that resulted in 43 deaths including nearly the entire roster of KHL team Lokomotiv Yaroslavl is a story too gruesome and too sad for any of us to comprehend in a normal way.
For one sports fan in Texas, his encounter with the tragedy in Russia was a far more direct and saddening one. Hearing and reading about what happened in Russia and being affected by that is one thing, but having to drive the family of one of the players killed to the airport so they could fly to Russia because of it is another thing entirely.
Such is the story that’s told as the author at A Chick’s Perspective tells the tale of having to take Karlis Skrastins’ family to the airport where their lives were about to be changed for the worse.
If you’re not eager to read this, we understand. It’s a very sad and moving story and works as an outsider’s take on a story that doesn’t quite directly involve them. Instead, it throws them into the middle of the entire situation with a gut-wrenching twist.
Update (9/8 – 10 p.m.): As noted in the comments, the author has removed the post out of respect for Skrastins’ family.
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 0
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 42
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)