Sep 8, 2011, 7:30 AM EDT
It’s difficult to find the right words in trying to describe what happened on Wednesday surrounding the events in Russia. The plane crash that resulted in 43 deaths including nearly the entire roster of KHL team Lokomotiv Yaroslavl is a story too gruesome and too sad for any of us to comprehend in a normal way.
For one sports fan in Texas, his encounter with the tragedy in Russia was a far more direct and saddening one. Hearing and reading about what happened in Russia and being affected by that is one thing, but having to drive the family of one of the players killed to the airport so they could fly to Russia because of it is another thing entirely.
Such is the story that’s told as the author at A Chick’s Perspective tells the tale of having to take Karlis Skrastins’ family to the airport where their lives were about to be changed for the worse.
If you’re not eager to read this, we understand. It’s a very sad and moving story and works as an outsider’s take on a story that doesn’t quite directly involve them. Instead, it throws them into the middle of the entire situation with a gut-wrenching twist.
Update (9/8 – 10 p.m.): As noted in the comments, the author has removed the post out of respect for Skrastins’ family.
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 23
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 46
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 20
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 85
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 15
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 47
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (87)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)