Sep 7, 2011, 3:49 PM EST
On a rough day like this, it’s nice to think about a day that’s regularly been a joyous occasion for the NHL and hockey fans in general. The Winter Classic has been a marquee event for four years running and rumors that the Philadelphia Flyers would host the New York Rangers in the 2012 edition have been around for quite some time.
While it didn’t confirm that the event will take place at Citizens Bank Park, CSNPhilly.com’s Sarah Baicker reveals that the Flyers backed up the rumors that they will host the 2012 Bridgestone Winter Classic on January 2 via a letter to their season ticket holders.
A letter to season ticket holders included the following note:
“The Flyers will host the 2012 Bridgestone Winter Classic! You will notice that only 43 games are included in your ticket and parking book(s). Winter Classic tickets are not a part of your 2011-12 season ticket package. However, all full season ticket holders will have the ability to purchase up to same number of Winter Classic Packages as 2011-12 full season seats you own.”
Baicker points out that Citizens Bank Park is still the logical locale because the Philadelphia Eagles are scheduled to host the Washington Redskins during a game on New Year’s Day. (Even an ice guru like Dan Craig couldn’t reasonably be expected to get the ice ready for the next Winter Classic in a day.)
It might take time for other details of the 2012 Winter Classic to trickle in, so PHT will make sure to keep you updated as different aspects are made official.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 2
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 16
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 81
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (81)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)