Sep 7, 2011, 3:49 PM EDT
On a rough day like this, it’s nice to think about a day that’s regularly been a joyous occasion for the NHL and hockey fans in general. The Winter Classic has been a marquee event for four years running and rumors that the Philadelphia Flyers would host the New York Rangers in the 2012 edition have been around for quite some time.
While it didn’t confirm that the event will take place at Citizens Bank Park, CSNPhilly.com’s Sarah Baicker reveals that the Flyers backed up the rumors that they will host the 2012 Bridgestone Winter Classic on January 2 via a letter to their season ticket holders.
A letter to season ticket holders included the following note:
“The Flyers will host the 2012 Bridgestone Winter Classic! You will notice that only 43 games are included in your ticket and parking book(s). Winter Classic tickets are not a part of your 2011-12 season ticket package. However, all full season ticket holders will have the ability to purchase up to same number of Winter Classic Packages as 2011-12 full season seats you own.”
Baicker points out that Citizens Bank Park is still the logical locale because the Philadelphia Eagles are scheduled to host the Washington Redskins during a game on New Year’s Day. (Even an ice guru like Dan Craig couldn’t reasonably be expected to get the ice ready for the next Winter Classic in a day.)
It might take time for other details of the 2012 Winter Classic to trickle in, so PHT will make sure to keep you updated as different aspects are made official.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)