Winnipeg Jets reveal their jerseys in dramatic fashion; What do you think of them?

Sep 6, 2011, 1:11 PM EDT

Jets jersey reveal

If for nothing else, the Winnipeg Jets choosing the name “Jets” helped make the setting of today’s press conference to reveal the Jets new sweaters far more dramatic. With a fighter jet providing the backdrop and a C-130 Hercules providing the stage for Jets players Andrew Ladd, Eric Fehr, Mark Stuart, and Nik Antropov to walk out from, the Jets revealed what they’ll be wearing on the ice this season.

After months of speculation with a host of counterfeit jerseys already being sold on the Internet, the Jets’ new sweaters are simple. Their home blue sweater is a nice, clean looking sweater with the Jets logo big and bold on the front with their secondary logo on the shoulders. The light blue and white stripes on the sleeves help the whole look jump out a bit and the numbers are easy to read.

source:

The road white sweater is a bit more curious. It has the same logo on the front and the secondary logo is again on the shoulders. While it too has the same stripes going around the elbows, the white sweater has a shoulder yoke that goes down the full length of the sleeve and the elbow stripes wrap around that making the elbow region of the sweater a car accident of stripes and colors.

All told, these sweaters are nice, but underwhelming. With all the build up and the waiting that went into this, coming up with something that’s a bit plain and simple comes off almost as boring but these are good sweaters and a good look all told.

For more photos up close and personal, check them out here at the Jets’ website.

What do you think of them? Let us know in the comments and in our poll.

1. icelovinbrotha215 - Sep 6, 2011 at 1:13 PM

I mean they aren’t bad. But after all this time, this is the best they came up with? Oh well. Training camps start up within the next 1-2 weeks. That’s what we really care about.

2. bigbear42 - Sep 6, 2011 at 1:14 PM

They look like they combined the wild and Blue Jackets jearseys

3. ready4jets - Sep 6, 2011 at 1:30 PM

I like em! I think people need to remember that jerseys and logos grow on people. New ones are usually met with apprehension. If you look at the ones most popular its the original six teams even though the maple leafs logo is probably the most boring in sports.

The one concern I have is there might be a little to much colour on the whites for playoff whiteouts.

• hystoracle - Sep 6, 2011 at 1:47 PM

Playoff Whiteouts are so cliche and tired…. At least half the league is doing it. It was neat when it was one or two at first. Now it’s just OLD. Wear your team colors. At least in Philly they wear their orange. And in Tampa they go with the blue – I get the solidarity thing but It’s not necessary. You create more energy and buzz by making noise not by what you wear.

Waiting for some on to get bold and use reversible shirts black on one side white on the other. Flip them around when the teams change ends so the opposing goalie has trouble seeing the puck in the air. That would be a real advantage for the home team.

• ready4jets - Sep 6, 2011 at 2:37 PM

I get what your saying, I think the reversable shirts would be cool, but the Whiteout has a pretty significant history in Winnipeg. It was done long before it was trendy, and the team didn’t have to give away shirts like they do in Philly and Tampa in order to get the crowd on board.

I remember the Coyotes first playoff series when they went with Whiteouts claming it was their tradition, then Anaheim had their own whiteout when the series shifted buildings, I think that’s when it got out of hand.

• hystoracle - Sep 6, 2011 at 3:37 PM

Came up with the reversible jersey thing because when the Bolts made the playoffs in ’03 or ’04 people (fans) around here were suggesting a Blackout – as opposed to a whiteout. They didn’t realize the problem that would create given the puck is black. I figure just take advantage of it.. Instead they went with Blue – recently. Personally I’m just happy if everyone is wearing something with a Lightning logo on it – given the # of transplants we have in Tampa.
        If it takes a $5 t-shirt to get everyone to wear the same color – go for it. Plus it’s a souvenir for the fan.
        In the end, I’m more concerned with putting crooked numbers up on the scoreboard and winning the game than what the fans look like.

4. meeshka71 - Sep 6, 2011 at 3:17 PM

Love the home jerseys. The only thing that could make these look better is Selanne in a #13 jersey!

5. dcent87 - Sep 6, 2011 at 6:50 PM

I like them

6. govtminion - Sep 6, 2011 at 6:50 PM

They’re… very tame. I guess I was hoping for a little more red to them, to look at least a little like the old jerseys. I admit, after all the waiting, drama, etc., I was sort of expecting something that didn’t look like it was thrown together over the weekend. Very disappointed, but what do you do I suppose.

7. lesleyvissersfacelift - Sep 6, 2011 at 7:44 PM

Road white sleeve stripes: the navy yoke showing between the two light blue stripes should either be a full navy or white full wrap-around stripe.

8. thegonz13 - Sep 6, 2011 at 8:06 PM

I hated the logo and I’m not crazy about the jersey.

Much fanfare for… well, not much!

9. balewsquare - Sep 6, 2011 at 8:46 PM

I don’t know why they tried to keep the Thrasher baby blue. That color was added just because ATL’s color scheme was lacking. I’d like them much better if the arm stripes were the red. You know, one of the team’s actual colors. It would have a more classic look. But yes I agree, no clue why it took so long to come up with this. This could’ve been done by the draft.

10. 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Sep 6, 2011 at 9:42 PM

I like that NHL hockey is back in Winnipeg and I’ll leave it at that

11. comeonnowguys - Sep 7, 2011 at 9:22 AM

I think I kinda love the home jersey. I think it even makes the logo better. Didn’t exactly mean that to sound like a backhanded compliment, but it’s clean and the lettering is strong and interesting without blatantly trying to trend chase.

Only thing stopping me from saying the same thing about the away jersey is the whole cuff-stripe thing, but I’m sure that will just take some getting used to. Overall, thumbs up.

12. rgledz - Sep 7, 2011 at 1:32 PM

My goodness, how much more boring could those possibly be??? The old sweater was classic, this is just cookie cutter. The logo and everything look like the sweater of a fictional team in a movie. Weak..

13. ihateannouncers - Sep 7, 2011 at 1:42 PM

Dissapointingly boring sweaters. The aviation nerd in me won’t let go that the c-130 is a turboprop and not a jet!!

14. verakot - Sep 7, 2011 at 3:13 PM

Nothing original. Just boring.

15. 8man - Sep 7, 2011 at 4:41 PM

They will fly off of the shelves as all of Winnipeg itches to don them, head to their favorite pub and await the beginning of the 2011-2012 campaign.

Boston Bruins, 2010-2011 Stanley Cup Champions!

Are Penguins vulnerable vs. Columbus?
Top 10 NHL Player Searches