Sep 5, 2011, 1:00 PM EDT
Few players with as careers as undistinguished as Jesse Boulerice’s have generated as much attention as the troublesome hitter did during his limited hockey career. Then again, few managed to become repeat offenders for such ugly incidents in such a concentrated amount of time – and few retired in as strange a way as Boulerice did last week.
Puck Daddy shares his strange retirement announcement, which came through a Facebook message from his wife Jacqueline (who also advertised her new business in the process). Boulerice finished his career with the AHL’s Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins, but most people will remember him for his suspension-filled career.
His final impression for many fans came when he received a 10-game suspension for landing a small hit on a referee during an AHL game. While that move was dumb enough, his worst moments of violence made him a notoriously bad apple. He was even charged with assault in 1998 after hitting Andrew Long in the face with his stick. That wasn’t the only time he used his stick in an ugly way, however, as he also received a 25-game suspension for cross-checking Ryan Kesler in the face on October 10, 2007.
Many in the hockey world will probably utter a sigh of relief that Boulerice is out of the picture, even if someone else will likely step into his place (though probably not with the same splashy results). Hopefully Boulerice will find a way to make a more positive impact with his next job, but if nothing else, he’ll leave his playing days behind in a memorable and odd way.
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 0
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 15
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 30
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (67)