Sep 5, 2011, 4:45 PM EDT
It’s been a tough summer for a lot of the NHL’s fringe free agents. While many of those players have their flaws – and most have seen their best days – it’s still surprising to see that no one is willing to give the likes of John Madden or J.P. Dumont a shot.
Many of those fringe players have been forced to accept training camp tryout offers instead of actual contracts. Ray Emery will continue his fight to regain his footing in the NHL by attempting to make an impact with the Chicago Blackhawks this month. While some players have better chances than others to actually make the respective teams, the list goes on with Michael Nylander (Philadelphia), Jordan Hendry (Minnesota), Manny Legace (Vancouver), David Aebischer (Winnipeg) and more.
Kirk Luedeke passes along a New York Newsday report that veteran winger Chris Clark is expected to get his own tryout opportunity with the Boston Bruins. The 35-year-old right wing might have a chance to make the Bruins’ roster since the team could use another winger after Michael Ryder left town.
Clark spent the first six seasons of his NHL career with the Calgary Flames, where he was part of the team’s Cinderella run to the 2004 Stanley Cup finals. He then spent parts of five seasons with the Washington Capitals, where he scored 20 goals once and reached a career-high 30 in 2006-07, leading him to become the team’s captain. Injuries and a reduced role eventually prompted the Caps to trade him to Columbus in 2010, where he had limited success during the rest of the 2009-10 season and only played in 53 games last season.
So even though the Bruins have a slight need at forward, Clark is far from guaranteed a spot. He could be a moderate asset in Boston if he can stay healthy and produce at a moderate level, but the South Windsor, Connecticut native will need to impress in training camp to land a job.
Clark’s training camp will rank as one of many we’ll keep an eye on as the preseason approaches.
(H/T to Puck Daddy.)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 68
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 32
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 22
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)