Sep 4, 2011, 6:08 PM EDT
While Wade Belak was laid to rest this afternoon in a private funeral service in Nashville, members of the hockey community hope to promote the charities he championed and help his family get back on their feet.
Amanda DiPaolo of Inside Smashville took a look at the Wade Belak Memorial Charity Drive, which Puck Scene’s Patten Fuqua organized. The goal of that drive is to raise $3,333 (a reference to Belak’s number 3 jersey in Nashville) for The Tourette Syndrome Clinic at Toronto Western Hospital. Belak was scheduled to compete in honor of that clinic during his participation in CBC’s “Battle of the Blades.” He likely chose to aid the fight against Tourette Syndrome because one of his daughters is battling the disease.
The drive’s minimum asking pledge is $3, although DiPaolo points out that there was also a pledge of $333.33 and multiple pledges of $50 and $100. DiPaolo reports that the charity generated $1,650 so far. (Follow this link if you’re interested in donating.)
That isn’t the only route in which people are donating money in honor of Belak. Associate coach Brent Peterson pledged an additional $1,000 from a different charity event to go to the clinic, according to DiPaolo.
If people want to assist Belak’s family in a more direct way, they can do that as well.
In lieu of flowers, Belak’s family says donations can be made to The Andie and Alex Belak Scholarship Fund. Checks may be made payable to Woodmont Christian Church/Belak (3601 Hillsboro Pike, Nashville, TN 37215).
We’ve gone to great lengths to try to make sense of the recent string of deaths and how the league can try to adapt to help its players fight through their problems. There’s a sense that people hope that some good can come from these tragic ends in that way, but if charities also get added attention, that could be another route to find ways to generate some positives from a very sad situation.
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 0
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)