Sep 4, 2011, 6:08 PM EDT
While Wade Belak was laid to rest this afternoon in a private funeral service in Nashville, members of the hockey community hope to promote the charities he championed and help his family get back on their feet.
Amanda DiPaolo of Inside Smashville took a look at the Wade Belak Memorial Charity Drive, which Puck Scene’s Patten Fuqua organized. The goal of that drive is to raise $3,333 (a reference to Belak’s number 3 jersey in Nashville) for The Tourette Syndrome Clinic at Toronto Western Hospital. Belak was scheduled to compete in honor of that clinic during his participation in CBC’s “Battle of the Blades.” He likely chose to aid the fight against Tourette Syndrome because one of his daughters is battling the disease.
The drive’s minimum asking pledge is $3, although DiPaolo points out that there was also a pledge of $333.33 and multiple pledges of $50 and $100. DiPaolo reports that the charity generated $1,650 so far. (Follow this link if you’re interested in donating.)
That isn’t the only route in which people are donating money in honor of Belak. Associate coach Brent Peterson pledged an additional $1,000 from a different charity event to go to the clinic, according to DiPaolo.
If people want to assist Belak’s family in a more direct way, they can do that as well.
In lieu of flowers, Belak’s family says donations can be made to The Andie and Alex Belak Scholarship Fund. Checks may be made payable to Woodmont Christian Church/Belak (3601 Hillsboro Pike, Nashville, TN 37215).
We’ve gone to great lengths to try to make sense of the recent string of deaths and how the league can try to adapt to help its players fight through their problems. There’s a sense that people hope that some good can come from these tragic ends in that way, but if charities also get added attention, that could be another route to find ways to generate some positives from a very sad situation.
- Once again, Carlyle’s Leafs are searching for answers 3
- Video: Sens, Leafs, Habs combine for beautiful tribute following Ottawa shootings 4
- Sleepy Sharks hit new low in loss to Buffalo 11
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 8
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 34
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (83)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? (37)
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case (36)