Sep 3, 2011, 5:46 PM EDT
Teams and sponsorship can sometimes create fun and awkward partnerships and who else but the New York Islanders are making a splash by getting fully involved with a major trend.
The Islanders have secured Tattoo Lou’s as the official tattoo shop of the team. Yes, it’s a tattoo shop and while you’re probably busy thinking about a TV show like Miami Ink, let’s just shift things over to Nassau County for a bit and soak in the glory that comes with getting a portrait of Rick DiPietro on your back instead.
Making this deal all the more incredible to see is the sweet set up Tattoo Lou’s will have at Nassau Coliseum which includes a tattoo and body piercing shop on the main concourse at the Coliseum which will sell t-shirts and jewelry as well. The creative possibilities here are endless. Lou Rubino, President of Tattoo Lou’s helps make sense of the deal.
“This partnership with the Islanders is a great fit for us and it’s a wonderful benefit to be a part of the Islanders team,” said Lou Rubino, President of Tattoo Lou’s. “This is another victory for the tattoo industry. For a long time, tattoos were frowned upon, but now, we’ve become more and more mainstream. One of the main things I love about this partnership is the history the Islanders have. My dad opened his first shop in 1958. We’re a part of Long Island history just like the Islanders.”
History, tattoos, Mike Bossy, Billy Smith, and the rest of the Islanders. Crazy part is, Rubino is right. Tattoos are mainstream although you have to wonder about the logistics of getting one done at a game. Think of how regrettable that John Tavares tramp stamp might be after a few too many cold ones during an Islanders-Rangers game.
If there’s one rule that we hope Tattoo Lou’s puts into effect at their shop we hope that it’ll have to do with throwing out anyone looking to emblazon the Fisherman logo anywhere on their body. Last year the Islanders gave us team cupcakes at games and now they’re looking to ink us up. At the very least, you can’t accuse the Islanders of not keeping up with the times… Or at the very least being inspired by reality TV shows. Bring us “Tattoo Cupcake Wars” this instant.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 46
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 68
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)